Monday, June 8, 2009

The Boy is Seven

I am going to preface this post by saying, my hat is off to all Primary Presidents. I am loving my new calling, but there is a lot of work involved. I'm trying to wrap my head around all the new things I have to remember to do for primary, and there is much more involved than making fun ice cream sundaes out of felt. Too bad that isn't a calling in itself, I could be a stellar sharing time craft and prop girl. At one time I was unofficially and then officially the ward poster girl (meaning I made posters) but there is a lot more entailed in being a primary president than the former poster girl that I once was. And I'm totally okay with that, I'm just trying to make my way up this steep learning curve one step at a time. I think the smartest thing I did yet was to pick the counselors and secretary that I picked. I'm working with an amazing presidency, seriously I'm trying to catch up with them and count myself among their ranks. Maybe one day I'll get it...

So with that in mind, this weekend was Dallas' seventh birthday, and although it might not have turned out exactly as I had originally planned it (enter busy primary calling) it was fabulous none the less and I think the boy loved it. Dallas' actual birthday was Saturday, but since we were busy with Stake and family baptisms that day we started our birthday fun Friday night. Dallas had opted to have a family dinner night instead of a friend birthday this year. I kept on reminding him that next year when he turns eight and is baptized we will have a big celebration, so we kept the festivities a little more close to home this year. For dinner Dallas wanted to try a Tepanyaki Steak house (he'd seen pictures from Austin's graduation, and was impressed with the fire involved). So fire we gave the boy, and food we ate, a lot of yummy, yummy food. We took Grandma and Grandpa Joe along with us to enjoy the food show.



But I'm getting ahead of myself. After I picked Dallas up from school on Friday we headed over to my in-laws where we had a little birthday surprise waiting. We're a little behind the times in our neighborhood. This is a very kid filled neighborhood (which we LOVE) but my kids seem to be the only ones who lack bike riding skills. That is totally my fault. You see in AZ in the summertime it's too darn hot to ride bikes, and I didn't think we lived in the best spot for bike riding, but here the weather is great, and we love being outside, and now we're loving riding bikes (helmets, elbow pads, knee pads and all, a little nerdy looking, but safe for sure). And we couldn't leave Hallie out, she'd be so sad if she didn't have a bike, so she got an early birthday present too. She was very surprised, as was Dallas, and there's nothing more fun than surprising your kids.





Then on Sunday after meetings and church Dallas wanted to celebrate his birthday with the Craig side of the family as well, so we headed to Grandma and Grandpa Craig's for cake and ice cream. This cake is not what we intended to make (Darth Vader was supposed frosted onto the actual cake, not perched on a straw on top), but somehow we ran out of time for perfection, and this is what we ended up with. It tasted yummy, but was a little less than our usual, but maybe that is what we're going to have to get used to around here. At least Dallas was happy with it.


After cake and ice cream we enjoyed Grandpa's garden outside, I'm loving June in Utah. And I love my sweet Dallas and hope he had a fabulous seventh birthday. Time flies fast, too fast, but I'm enjoying every minute I have with my family, life is good.


6 comments:

Toria said...

that fire picture kept distracting my ADD mind while reading this post. I kept thinking-oh know, did the cake catch? etc. etc. I couldn't read fast enough.

good luck with the learning curve. Isn't that always how it is? John's our Branch Pres and I keep thinking- "we're too young for this", but then I think "oh wait, I guess my bishop growing up was probably young too since his kids (you) are my age.

and

I just wanted to say that I almost made reference to the beaver song in my post, but I didn't think anyone would have a CLUE what I was talking about (I forgot we share our deep memories) cuz didn't Tami make up that song?

Angela said...

Good to see you guys yesterday, and glad Dallas had a good birthday. Fire and all!

Courtney said...

Happy birthday Dallas! I told Seth 7 was plenty old and we could now freeze time but he hasn't agreed...yet.

hendywow said...

Happy Birthday D. It was so nice to talk to you! Nanc, thanks for the recipe everyone loved them!

pam said...

I guess I spoke too soon, it was biking and not scootering Hallie was waiting for. Glad they're enjoying their new bikes. Happy to have shared the birthday with Dallas and all of you.

Steph said...

Happy Birthday Dallas!

I am with Courtney...would LOVE to freeze time. By the end of the year I will have an 8 and 10 year old...we are getting into double digits way too quickly!!