Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sundae Calling

So it's Sunday evening and we've had a full weekend, time for a little R&R before the week ahead. Did I mention that I got a new job at church? For those of you who might be unfamiliar with our church we each as members have a different job that we do to help run our Sunday Services and weekly activities. I got called to be our new Primary President. That means that I am over the youth of our church, and we have a big group here in our local ward, about 190 kids to be exact. We have 140 in the primary (ages 3-12) and 50 kids in the nursery (ages 18 months -3). And we also have a very active ward meaning that most of these kids come to church each week, needless to say there is a lot of work involved with the Primary. But lots of fun too, I am really excited about this new job, and the other ladies that I get to work with.

Today was our first time in Sharing Time (on Sunday we meet together with all of the kids in two separate groups for a lesson and singing time). So we thought we'd have kind of a get to know you lesson. My idea was that we would build a "Sundae" together. We as members of the presidency each took a part of an ice cream Sundae (brownie, ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles and cherry on top) and told how it reflected our personalities and how we all worked together to make a complete Sundae and how without each part we wouldn't be complete. I was the sprinkles (crafty, colorful, fun) and then once our Sundae was almost complete we told the kids that they were the cherry on top and that our Sundays wouldn't be complete without them, see the double meaning of the Sundae? Anyway I think it turned out really cute and fun for the kids and we tied some spiritual messages in there too about how Heavenly Father loves each of us and cares for us all.


I'm kind of craving ice cream after all of that, but don't have any here, and that is probably a good thing. So if any of you have fun primary ideas for me send them my way! I'm going to post a lot of what we do so that I can a.) remember them and b.) spark other ideas from you. I need all the help I can get!

And... I didn't forget about the giveaway. I had Dallas pick the number this time and he chose 7, so MarySue these cute little bird luggage tags are headed to you! Email me and let me know where you want me to send them: nancysblondeambitions@gmail.com.

16 comments:

Mandy said...

You'll make a great primary president. I don't get in until 8 or 9 on Thursday. I am renting a car though so you dont need to pick me up.

Jacque said...

ditto to mandy. your primary kids will love you!

such a cute idea with the sundae!

Jen said...

Nancy, you are going to be absolutely wonderful at this calling!

Courtney said...

Good news. You'll be great! I just got put in as 1st counselor and would love ideas.

Lfree said...

Hey Nancy! I haven't had a chance to catch up with you. You'll be amaaaazing! So much for the "we don't have callings yet" conversations. :) If only you knew what would be coming down the pipes! :) You'll be great! Talk to you soon.

Lindsey said...

I'm in my 3rd year as president and am always looking for ideas too. I'm excited that you will be posting some! If you ever want to email or call me, we've had some very successful activities, sharing times, etc in the past. Its far too much to write here, but I'm happy to share.

Sarah said...

I'm pp too. 150 kids and 40 in nursery. I love it! You'll be great!

Emily said...

It's been a while since I've talked to you. This is exciting! Steve and I are kind of laughing that they didn't waste any time at all putting you in. You will be so great at it. I would absolutely LOVE fun singing time ideas. Please post! Why don't you start a primary blog?

MarySue said...

Dallas is the cherry on top of my day for randomly picking me. You just know I'll have them on my luggage for the flight to Oregon. Much thanks!!! I'll email you my address.

Keith and Lynsi said...

Nanc. You will be so great! Man, with all those creative skills.. you are perfect! I am going to be loving your ideas! The sundea idea was darling! By the way that's a HUGE Primary.. good luck!

hendywow said...

Hello! I knew that you would be terrific!

Shannon said...

That's my calling too. I'm excited to see what ideas I can steal from you (smile). Everything you do is adorable I'm sure your primary ideas will be amazing.

Jen Rutter said...

Nancy you will be absolutely wonderful at this calling. You are so fun and creative, the kids will love you. My helpful tip: sugardoodle.net

Toria said...

wow, they didn't waste any time putting your talents to good use! You'll be fabulous and even more worthy of those blessings you've been desiring!!!

The Dawlings said...

it's no wonder you were put in as President Nancy--first, you have so many friends that have that same calling, you suuround yourself with Primary! and second, you rock! I think the Ice Cream thing went wonderfully, and I am excited to work with you! You are so creative, and very CALM. which is good for someone like me (stress case). Rock on!

pam said...

Funny how your sundae looks like a giant cupcake! Beautiful! Your Primary is lucky to have you.