Monday, May 11, 2009

My Mother's Day 2009

I had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. It all started Friday afternoon when I was able to Super Momably make it to both of my children's Mother's Day events (I know you were worried). Hallie sang beautifully at her school program and then I quick made it in time for lunch with Dallas at his school. I didn't get any pictures with Dallas because we were having too much fun enjoying our lunch together to take pictures. But I got a few of Hallie singing some funny little songs about how she wished she could keep her mom in a little red box so she could take her out and go kiss, kiss, kiss, it was very sweet.



And yesterday was the big day where I had a wonderful Mother's Day from start to finish. Travis and the kids had planned a "surprise" breakfast in bed. I've been a mom on Mother's Day long enough to know that part of the celebration in our family includes breakfast in bed. But what I wasn't expecting yesterday was a trip to Village Inn on my own bed. I think Travis made every possible breakfast item there is, this man has a problem with moderation, but I didn't care it was fabulous, and I think spoiled any progress I'd made with my last two weeks of Slim-Fast for breakfast, but we had fun anyway. I think my favorite thing he made was his Texas Toast sized French Toast complete with whipped cream and bananas. He has certainly become the breakfast man at our house and I'm going to have a tough time competing come Father's Day. I seriously couldn't stop laughing when they finally brought in the breakfast tray, Travis had left no breakfast item unconquered, there was a complete smorgasbord of breakfast delicacies, and no, I didn't eat it all, but I had fun working my way through some of everything.


The kids had made cards and were ready with hugs and kisses, I loved the homemade cards, Dallas' said, "Your my most best mom" and Hallie drew a picture of the two of us. They were very sweet.


Then we had a great day at church, and after headed to my friend Liz's baby blessing in Salt Lake. She was in town for a family reunion so they blessed their new little baby Elyse here yesterday, it was a really special blessing, and so much fun to see so many of her relatives. Her family has always treated me like an extra daughter and it was fun to catch up with all of them.



Sweet Elyse slept through the whole thing and seemed quite content to be held by her Grandma Linda.

Liz had requested that I make Melt-A-Way cookies for the blessing. I think I've only made these once ever, and that was years ago, and they turned out horribly. But I think I got the dough under control this time and they seemed to be a big hit, they disappeared quickly anyway. I Fancy-Nancyed them up of course and added some piped frosting and cake decorations for sparkle. You always frost these cookies, but I had never seen them like this before, and I think it made them extra special. These are much faster than cupcakes so they might be a new favorite of mine for parties. They have a really interesting consistency where they literally melt in your mouth.

Here is the recipe:


Melt-A-Way Cookies

3/4 c. Cornstarch, sifted
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1 c. flour

Beat butter and other ingredients until creamy. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, let cool and frost. (Note, I think these work best when the butter is almost entirely melted, if your dough comes out crumbly add a little milk to get a creamy consistency. They also usually have a rather runny frosting drizzled on top, but I made mine a little thicker so I could pipe it, and I also added some almond extract to the frosting which I think lent itself well to these cookies. Also note, these cookies are very small, I used about a teaspoons worth of dough for each one -give or take- no actual measuring as the dough is sticky and will stick to a cookie scoop.) Enjoy!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, that looks like a great Mother's Day and I am seriously so sad that I can't bake right now. Those melt-aways look divine and to make matters worse, Jeff got me a new Kitchen Aid for Mother's Day and I can't break it in. You are such a great mom and I am so glad that you made it to both programs:)

p.s. you and Liz could be twins!

Steph said...

So glad you had a nice Mother's Day...that breakfast looks yummy!

Wish I was there with you girls for the blessing! Thanks for posting pics of Elyse...it has been a while since I have seen her! Miss you!

Steph said...

Thanks for the recipe too...the cookies look very cute!

pam said...

Wish we could have been there for the blessing. The baby is beautiful. Also the cookies look great, no wonder they disappeared fast. I will have to try them sometime soon.

Dawn said...

Wow! Go Travis, that breakfast looked divine! How fun to be at Elyse's baby blessing, thanks for the cookie recipe. Those sound really yummy and your extra touches make them look extra delicious. Happy Mothers Day!!

Liz said...

Thank you Nance for being there and for the delicious cookies! They were a big hit! I didn't even get one so thank you for saving me some at your house!! And it makes me motivated to post pics of my own baby on my blog. my friends always beat me to it! its getting embarrasing!! Love you!