Sunday, May 10, 2009

BEFORE AND AFTER

Before I became a mother myself I had a wonderful example to look up to, my own mother Pamela who is the most selfless woman I know. My mom is the mother I could only dream to be. Her talents are endless, and her love is beyond measure. One of my most vivid memories I have of my mother as a child is an image I have of her on her knees, kneeling at her bedside. I often barged into her bedroom unannounced and found her kneeling in prayer. I think that was the key to her successful mothering. She knew where to seek advice and counsel, and humbly listened as the Lord guided her in her mothering.

After I became a mother I realized why I found my Mom so often on her knees. And I'm only in the beginning stages of motherhood, and I don't have six children under the age of 9. I love my mom for so many reasons, mostly because I know how much she loves me. She shows it in every little thing she does. I felt it in my clean laundry, in my well rounded dinners that almost always contained vegetables and were on the table every night as my Dad walked in the door at 6:30. I felt it in the many dresses she sewed for me, in the library books she rented for my school assignments. I felt it in the lunches that she daily packed for me, and the many rides I received to dance class and play practice. I felt it in everything she did. I even felt it in the piano lessons she desperately tried to get me to take, and I felt it even when I fought them tooth and nail.

Before I became a mother I don't think I understood the love that was behind all the hard work, but after I became a mother I couldn't help but feel it from every fiber of my being. There is no love like that of a mother, and I am so grateful to have been raised and loved by the best. Thank you Mom for loving me and for still teaching me by your example. I aim to be half the mother that you are. I love you.

Here is a little example of my mom's before and after handiwork. These are the chairs that she recovered for me, I felt embarrassed by all of the work that went into them, she spent literally days, coming to my house and working on these chairs. And I love the way they turned out and they are a daily, tangible reminder of her love, and I feel it every time I see them. Thanks Mom!

BEFORE



AFTER



7 comments:

Courtney said...

that is love! they turned out great. your mom is one of a kind.

Mike and Joy said...

Wow, that looks fantastic! Your mom did a great job...with the chair and with being a fantastic mom.

Sarah said...

You're mom is great! Happy Mother's Day!

The chair is gorgeous!

Emily said...

Pam is wonderful. And she made a mighty fine Sunday dinner tonight. I'm sorry we missed you! Have fun in WA.

pam said...

Nancy, that's about the nicest thing anybody ever said to me. Glad you have such a selective memory of your mother. And if your mother really knew what she was doing, it wouldn't have taken her so long to finish the slip covers.

Jen Rutter said...

Wow-I wish I could do that? They turned out so cute!

MarySue said...

Way to go Pam. Terrific!!!