Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Makeover your leftovers Chinese Style

If you hosted Easter dinner like I did than you might have a little extra ham on your hands. One of my favorite leftover creations is Ham Fried Rice. Or if you don't have any leftover ham try some chopped chicken, or just forgo the meat altogether and make a vegetable fried rice. I don't use an actual recipe so I'll attempt to teach you the method to my fried rice madness.


First you need some leftover rice (I use about 1 cup of rice to feed my family of 4), or you need to cook some rice in the morning like I'm doing now, and then put it in your fridge for 3-4 hours before making your rice. For whatever reason you need cold rice to make fried rice. Put 1 Tbsp. of canola or vegetable oil into your biggest frying pan, turn pan on high and wait for oil to heat up. Then dump your cold rice into hot oil and stir around trying to get the rice to a golden brown. Then add a bag of frozen vegetables and your ham to the rice after it has turned golden brown. Cook until veggies and ham are heated through. Then add 1-2 Tbsp. Soy sauce, and 1-2 tsp. of sesame oil (you don't have to add sesame oil if you don't have any, but I love the flavor it adds). My sister Becky also uses fresh ginger and garlic too, she adds hers to the hot oil right before adding the other ingredients. You'll then want to fry up an egg and add a fried scrambled egg and some freshly sliced green onion to the mix. I like to fry the egg in a separate frying pan and then add to the cooked rice mix and stir in with the green onion. Taste it and see if you need any extra soy sauce or sesame oil to flavor it. Serve and enjoy! I love to make this with the honey glazed chicken I showed before, my kids love this meal and I do too. Happy Leftovers!

2 comments:

Jacque said...

that looks delicious! it was always such a treat when my mom would make ham fried rice for us! i'm sure your kids feel the same way!

kimber said...

Yummy, great idea, I think I'll give it a try.