Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lessons learned

Since the Spring weather here hasn't been cooperating the kids and I headed indoors to see some wildlife; if you can call it that. Actually there wasn't any life left in the wild animals we were looking at. Where we went was a little bit more along the lines of a Lisa Simpson nightmare. We went with my niece's preschool class to Cabellas, the hunter's heaven.

Now I am not a hunter. And I've had the thought run through my mind every time I go to Cabellas that there is probably not a bigger store that I could be less interested in. But I do think it's kind of interesting to see so much wildlife up close. But something stuck out to me differently on this particular trip. At the Cabellas we went to there are two stuffed horses. Beside the horses there is a plaque dedicated to the life that these animals lived. It tells their names, their owners names, and things that they enjoyed doing while they were alive. It told of the many hunting trips they had accompanied their owners on, and gave tribute to the services they had rendered. And told of the long lives they lead, and how they eventually died of old age. But these same plaques were not to be found near any of the other dead, stuffed animals. It's just interesting to me that people who have so much love and respect for their animals as pets also enjoy killing them for sport. That's all I'm saying. Makes you think. And no, I'm not a vegetarian or a member of PETA, I just don't think killing animals for sport is something I would enjoy. Okay, done with that subject.

So I was trying to get a decent picture of the kids the whole time we were on the field trip.

But I could never quite get Hallie to look at me. And when she did she gave a crazy face like this.

I need to work with Hallie on her smiling for the camera. This is her, "quick take the picture face" that we get so often, Dallas is pretty much doing the same thing, only his looks a little less painful.
So I gave up on the kids altogether and decided to work on my National Geographic portfolio.

We made it home safely from the wilds of Cabellas unscared only to have poor Dallas come down with a head injury last night. When I say "come down" I mean literally. The boy fell down the stairs (or may have been given a slight push by his little-very-remorseful-sister). There were no witnesses. So it's still up in the air as to exactly how the injury occured. All I know is that one minute Travis and I were preparing dinner, and the next minute there was a blood-curdling scream followed by a blood-gushing head. I grabbed a towel to stop the blood and Dallas and I headed to the Insta-care where he received four staples to his head. Poor kid. He was very brave, and I was trying to be the same. It's no fun to see your child in pain, but we were just glad he was okay.

This was Dallas in the waiting room with some numbing cream on his head. And this is the four staples he got after he was properly numbed. That doesn't mean there was no more pain. The poor boy pretty much bawled and screamed his way through the whole process. It wasn't fun.

Kind of morbid, I know. But interesting at the same time. The stapler the Doctor used looked very much like a regular old staple gun, kind of crazy that you can just staple someones head closed. So next time your mom tells you to stop horsing around before someone splits their head open, you might want to listen to her. I think my kids will.

10 comments:

hendywow said...

Owie! poor little guy, btw you know I come from a long line of Hunters, and I don't enjoy it either, but they do eat what they hunt if it makes you feel any better.

Laura said...

Poor Dallas! Don't you hate it when the blood gushes and you have to run to the ER? Dallin's ear trauma sounds kind of similar. I'm with ya on the hunting thing. I could never kill an animal.

Angela said...

Well, glad you had fun at Cabella's before the trauma. Hope Dallas heals nicely. At least he has a cool story about getting staples in his head.

Jen Rutter said...

Poor Dallas- I have had staples before and they do hurt!

Dawn said...

Oh poor little guy. I agree with you there is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain. I'm glad he is okay. As for the trip to Cabellas I've been there and done that and I agree with your view on hunting, survival would be my only reason for agreeing with it. Miss you tons and I'm looking forward to seeing lots of you this summer!!

pam said...

Those staple look pretty serious. I am impressed that you knew where to take him having just moved into the area. Hope Dallas heals O.K. Glad you had fun at Cabella's.

Mike and Joy said...

Oh gosh! That's nuts. Poor Dallas!

Toria said...

so crazy that our boys got hurt at the same time! They may be more alike that we even realize. Cabellas is weird- I do like getting a sample of the fudge though and I like looking at the fish (maybe because they are alive!). I think I might like fishing for fun, but hunting- no thanks. I also can't agree more on store so big that I'm so not interested in purchasing anything in. I even like REI a lot, but Cabellas is just a bit more hunter-ish or something?

Anonymous said...

hope none of the hunters in the family read this post

Savanna said...

Cabellas is cool looking. poor dallas!!!