Sunday, April 5, 2009

Conference cookies

Some of you seemed interested in the sugar cookie recipe I used in the previous post, so here it is. For those of you old 35th ward members out there it's from the old yellow cookbook. It's a Janet Beck recipe (so I knew it would be good!). I use it every time I make sugar cookies. It's originally called Dott's Sugar Cookies.

Sugar Cookies
1 c. butter (original recipe says 1/2 c. butter and 1/2 c. margarine. I use all butter)
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter, margarine and sugar; add eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients. Combine with creamed mixture. Roll out, cut and place on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Now for the frosting I don't have an exact recipe, but more of a secret maybe? I have found that the more butter I use, the more I like the frosting (and everyone else for that matter). I used to use a half a stick of butter for my frosting, but now I use a whole stick. So I very slightly soften a stick of butter (don't melt completely!) and then I pour in some vanilla (maybe a tsp. and a half) then I add a little milk (maybe 2 TBSP. ? I don't measure!) and then I pour in powdered sugar until I get the right consistency (maybe 3-4 cups). I just beat it with the electric beater until I get a good consistency and then add my food coloring. And on this particular batch I used neon colors.

Here is a stipulation for you. The cookies themselves aren't overly sweet because you're going to put a lot of sweet frosting on top of them. So that is how I like the actual cookie. Travis on the other hand tasted them the other night before I put the frosting on and told me they were gross and that there was something wrong with them. I was shocked because he NEVER says that about my cooking and it wasn't April Fool's day anymore. So I kept asking him was he serious? And he said, "you always tell me to be honest about your cooking, and then when I am you get mad at me." And then I said, enough with this honesty crap, so I tasted them myself, and my kids tasted them and we all thought they were great and Travis was just mean, and we told him he couldn't have any of our cookies. But do you want to know who ate a lot of them once they were frosted? I'll give you one guess! And I'd also wager to guess that he'll think twice before he tells me my cookies are gross again. And a tip if you don't have a round cookie cutter, just use a drinking glass, that is what I did. I had looked for an egg shaped cookie cutter and couldn't find one so this worked fine. Also a frosting tip for you for cookies, cakes and cupcakes: get yourselves an offset spatula. They make all the difference in the world. I use a small one like this, and I love it! You can get them at any craft store in the baking section.

Oh and make sure to take lots of pretty pictures of everything you bake so your husband can tell you that it's weird and then you can blog about it later. I still love you Bubba! I just might give my next batch to the neighborhood husbands.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I'll have to check out the neon food color - I love the bold colors! Do you have to get it at a craft store?

Nancy said...

no, I got it at Wal Mart.

pam said...

Thanks for sharing your pretty and tasty cookies with us last weekend. I remember once Katie asking me what I called those bent spatulas. It took us a while to think of the work Offset. But they are great little implements. Also I know I should have used quotation marks etc,in the above sentence, but remember that I am typing this on a Spanish keyboard and it is hard enough to get the letters right let alone the punctuation as they are in the wrong place.