Monday, February 9, 2009

A little bling

Have I ever mentioned that I have a thing for jewelry? I do. I think it goes back to my Summers spent in Canada as a kid visiting my grandparents. My Grandmother had a rather extensive jewelry collection, and for some reason was very happy to let her granddaughters rummage through her necklaces, bracelets, earrings and rings. She had the coolest little holders for them too. Her earrings were clipped on to this Ferris wheel type little spinner, and you could slowly spin it round and round and take in all the sparkle as they passed you by. It was mostly costume jewelry, but my sisters and I loved them like they were the royal jewels, and we were the princesses allowed to play with the Queen's gems. So somehow I think in the recesses of my mind I've been creating my own royal collection, and it's added too every year when I attend the Tucson International Gem and Mineral show which I went to on Saturday with my Mom and my sister Angela (check out Angela's blog and etsy store, she makes fancy things that are intricate works of art, me, I string beads and call it all good) who also inherited my Grandmother Velma's love for things that sparkle. I, like my Grandmother, collect mostly costume, inexpensive jewels, but I love them like they were the real thing. And I'm afraid this love is becoming even more multi-generational as Hallie is developing quite the jewelry crush. And I don't see that as a bad thing. Here's a little peak at my loot.

These are some of the beads I picked up. Someday I'll turn them into actual jewelry.

I got this ring holder, it keeps my little collection rather nicely. Now my rings can all hang out together and won't get lost in my jewelry box. I think I should have gotten two though as I've pretty much filled this one already.

This turquoise ring was one of my purchases on Saturday. My Mom got it for me for my birthday and I rather like it. Thanks Mom.

I also picked up a few necklace charms. I really like this silhouette looking cameo, I got it from a jeweler that I've liked the past few years, she has very unique stuff. You can check her out at Jess Imports, I'd highly recommend her stuff.

I have a cameo ring from my Grandma, but I love how this necklace marries the cameo to the silhouettes that are very popular right now, tres chic, that's fancy for really cool.

And this little heart was something I looked for last year, but didn't find the right one until this year. Travis bought me this necklace for Valentine's day when we were first married. The charms stand for Love (heart), Today, Tomorrow (star) and Forever (circle). Well I lost the heart, so there was no love in my today, tomorrow and forever, and I thought that was kind of symbolically sad, so I found a new heart, and you and Travis can relax now that the love is back.

And I thought these charms were so cute, I bought them also for Travis' sake. I have a necklace with my kids' names on charms and when I got it Travis said, "don't you want one with my name on it?" And I said, "No, it's a mother's necklace and I'm not your mother." So this is my answer to Travis' plea to see my love for him pledged around my neck. Okay so he didn't really care that much, but I thought they were cute. These alphabet charms, along with the gold love charm I picked up were from Nina Designs, and were very inexpensive. I think they are very sweet and dainty.

That's mostly it. I did pick up a few pairs of earrings and some toggles to make bracelets out of. Right now I'm dreaming up new ways to hold and display my jewels. I have some fun ideas for my new closet, hopefully I can make them a reality after the big move. I'll be sure to show you when I do!

Okay so I had to add this. I got a few things for Hallie at the show, so of course she wanted a jewelry box to put them in. She found this little box and started rounding up her jewelry. Then she wanted some of mine, so I was giving her a few things as I was collecting my stuff together I came across two badly tarnished rings. She said she wanted them and I said, you don't want these, they're all tarnished and have crap all over them. She said she still wanted them, so I gave them to her. She was so excited to show off her new jewelry box and the first thing out of her mouth while showing her Dad was, "Look at these crappy rings mom gave me!" Who knew someone could be so excited about my sloppy seconds, and who knew she picks up on everything I say! Too funny that little Hallie girl of mine is too funny.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

You have A LOT of rings. Can I borrow some?

hendywow said...

Those are some GREAT purchases! I love the Travis Necklace! I wish I could have gone with you.

Toria said...

I am coveting! It's bad, but I'm doing it.
especially your rings.
I love your rings.
I need to get myself a mommy necklace, and I'm impressed that Travis got you such a cool symbolic necklace- way to bring the love back!

pam said...

So glad to have had the fun of going to the gem show with you and Angela. We drove home without problems but went through a couple of blizzards and woke up to snow this morning. I miss picking the fresh oranges off Becky's tree and drinking the juice, and all the other warm things there.

Angela said...

Thanks for taking us to the gem show, Nanc. You made some excellent purchases.

Liz said...

Wow! I had no idea you had collected so many rings. I love them. I really don't have many when I see all yours. I just wear the same ones over and over. Ok so I need to come to that gem show one of these years. I believe I said that last year and well I guess I will keep saying that until next year. And I really want a gold ball bracelet and that hot pink one like STeph has. If you have any extra I will pay you for them!!!

Karla Rauch said...

That is awesome... I am glad you were able to go. That is so special you were able to inherit some of the jewlery. I will make for good stories to tell.

Anonymous said...

Rings, jems and so many shinny things I guess the kids can go to community college or work their way threw school. So glad nancy could go have fun but her wish to go is the real reason why the move was pushed back.