Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolving to be resolute in my resolutions

I'm not going to tell you what my New Year's resolutions are. Because if I did, then you could ask me questions like, "How's that Puerto Rican beach body coming?" or, "How are you implementing broccoli into your daily diet?" You might even want to know what I thought of Hallie and my new Billy Blanks Tae Bo Kids work out. And if you asked I would tell you, but you can't ask very detailed questions if you don't know what I've resolved to do in 2009. So if I don't tell you about how I'm trying to exercise, eat healthy, and lose weight for Puerto Rico, then you can't hold me to it. So I won't tell you about that.

Instead I will tell you what I accomplished today.

*woke up before the sun, dragged my son out of bed and off to school after three weeks vacation
* washed, dried and folded 5 loads of laundry
* took two trips to the grocery store
*spent too much money at the grocery store (broccoli type fiberlicious foods don't always come cheap.)
*did Billy Blanks DVD, Tae Bo Kicks, the coolest workout for kids on the planet, with my two children
*made three healthy meals, and fed two hungry children
*cleaned my kitchen multiple times
*vacuumed two rooms of my house
*watched Oprah come to terms with a struggle I relate to as if we were related
*read four books (no really I did, only they averaged about 10 pages each) to two sleepy children
*held family scripture study (this might be a hint to a resolution I'm resolving to do)
*and finally got around to my Blog Reader (I usually do this first thing in the morning, so this tells you how today differed from most others).

Anyway I feel refreshed, invigorated, and hopeful for that beach body (maybe somewhere along the lines of a retiree in Florida, but a beach body none the less). And oh yeah, my back hurts, and my feet ache, and I might not be able to walk tomorrow, but today, I accomplished all of my goals, and for that I'm feeling good.

But aside from this silly recounting of my days events, I can't stop thinking about a miracle that took place in our family on Saturday. My older brother Steve and his three young boys were on their way home from skiing late Saturday afternoon when they hit a patch of black ice, went sliding toward oncoming traffic, and then veered to avoid an accident which sent their car spinning and rolling down the canyon. My brother and all three of his boys, Elliot, Aaron and Isaac walked away from this accident very shaken, but unharmed. The miracle that this was cannot be contested and I have thanked Heavenly Father many times since Saturday night that they were protected. Read Steve's story on our family blog, after you see the pictures and hear of the accident you will feel like I do: thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who watched over and protected these four boys.



I think this picture of Emily reuniting with her shaken boys says it all. We're so grateful they are all okay.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Did you read the addendum Steve put on the blog? I thought it was really nice. We are beyond grateful, and appreciate your love!

Laura said...

You are such a great Mom. I too am trying some of the things that you mentioned in our family. Thanks for being such a great example. I am so glad that Steve and his boys are okay. You can see the mix of fear and relief on Emily's face, so glad they are safe.

Dawn said...

I am teary eyed just imagining this event. I love your family and I'm so glad they are all safe. I LOVE your blond hair and your blog name also so don't change anything! Looks like a great Christmas!! Hope to see you soon! lOve ya!

Jen Rutter said...

Wow! This made me cry, I am so glad Steve and the boys are alright. It just makes you realize something like that could happen to any of us, at any time.