Monday, January 12, 2009

Honey it's dinner time

So in my quest for recipes ladled with lemon I found and cooked for our family a little Honey Glazed chicken for dinner tonight. This recipe has 6 Tablespoons of lemon juice, and no sugar in sight (oh, there's a half a cup of honey, but that's all good). I've made if before with the little squeezable lemon full of juice from the grocery store, but this time we used lemons right off the tree and it tastes great both ways. So I thought I'd share this recipe since it doesn't involve sugar, I won't say that it's exactly healthy, but if you used brown rice and added a vegetable or two I'm sure that would kick the health measure up a notch or two. I thought about cooking broccoli to go with it, but the thought never made it to the table in the form of food. It was a really healthy thought though, so at least I'm thinking more healthy these days. I managed to lose 2.4 lbs. last week, but haven't exactly been fully "on the wagon" today. I think this move is still getting to me a bit, but I'm going to hop on my treadmill tonight and try to think more healthy thoughts tomorrow. So here for your eating pleasure is the Honey glazed chicken recipe I stole from a girl named Jill, if I knew who she was I would have asked, but I have no idea who she is, I just hope she's nice and happy to share.

Honey Glazed Chicken (similar to PF Changs Honey Crispy Chicken)


3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
6 T. butter
1/2 c. honey
6 T. lemon juice (this took me three small lemons worth of juice)
4 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. ground ginger

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Dice chicken and put in large Ziploc bag, pour flour mixed with garlic powder and salt and pepper over chicken, seal bag and shake until well coated. Melt 2 T. butter in the hot oven in a 9x13 glass baking dish, then arrange flour coated chicken in single layer in dish of melted butter. Put the chicken in the oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter and add honey, lemon juice, soy sauce and ginger. After chicken has baked for 30 minutes, turn each piece over and pour sauce mixture evenly over chicken. Bake another 30 minutes, basting frequently. Serve over rice.

My kids love this chicken, in fact when I got up to take the chicken's picture (which my kids think is odd, and it is, I know) Hallie stole the chicken right off my plate. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Jennifer Woodbury said...

Yum. I think I know what I'm cooking for dinner tomorrow night!

Laura said...

Jeff loves crispy honey chicken. I will have to make this for him soon. I haven't seen him in about a month because of work but when I see him again I will be making this. Thanks Nanc!

elizabeth winsby said...

Yum.Yum. I will have to try this soon!

Becky said...

Ooooo, does that look good! I will be making this tomorrow night as well, Jen! Thanks for planning my menu, Nancy.

Courtney said...

i haven't made this in a while - thanks to you we are now having it tonight. I am going to try it with a sesame green bean recipe.

Angela said...

Oooh, that sounds yummy. Too bad I just went grocery shopping! I'll have to make it next week.

Karla Rauch said...

Yummy, you know what is funny? Ethan and I picked some lemmons off my neighbors tree that hangs over in our yard; we used them to make lemmon chicken. Your recipe looks similar to the one I found.

AL&G said...

I can't wait until you have me over for this yummy dinner. :)

kimber said...

Thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna try making it tonight! I'm not a cook, so hopefully I don't screw it up.