Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cupcakes, housedresses and showers, oh my!

One day I was in Ross and happened to pass by the pajama section. And like a huntress on safari I spied a leopard print house dress out of the corner of my eye. For a split second I thought I might like to own the house dress. Then I thought to myself, keep walking, you might be 30, but you're no South Beach Granny. After I left the store I had to laugh at myself for even being tempted by such a comfy slinky getup, until I had a thought. A thought that would allow me to have my house dress, trick my friends into thinking it was cool, and eat cupcakes all at the same time. I decided to throw myself a house dress party. You see on my thirtieth birthday I somehow convinced my friends to throw me a pajama party, so for my 31st the only way to top the pajama party was to have a house dress party. With my tricky house dress party idea in mind I spread the word to any friend that would loan me their ear, and to my surprise my friends thought it sounded like fun (I told you I was persuasive), and on Friday night my dream came true.
My fun friend Stephanie (whose birthday is about three weeks apart from mine) and I decided to throw ourselves a little house dress birthday party. And guess what? It was a complete hit (like you'd ever doubt me and my party planning skills). I was telling Travis that one of the main reasons the party was so fabulous was because I have the best most fun friends in the entire universe. We even convinced Liz, who is 34 weeks pregnant to hop on a plane from California to join us. Okay so we told her if she'd come we'd also throw her a baby shower. So she agreed and the whole gang made it (aside from a few who live in far off places like Dubai where a plane trip for a house dress party might seem unreasonable). But never fear, if you didn't make it to the first ever house dress party, there's no reason you cannot create your own chapter of the MuMu Mamas and throw your own. All you need is some willing friends, house dresses or muumuus and a lot of good food (a little karaoke wouldn't hurt either, or perhaps rock band or better yet dance dance revolution would suffice too). Go ahead, steal my idea, I've got plenty more believe me, and have your own party, but make sure you show me pictures! Here's some of mine.





Did I mention there was a pageant involved? Stephanie and I surprised our guests with a little competition. We held our first ever "Mrs. Mumu Mama 2009" pagent. Each contestant had to model their mumu, show a talent, and answer hard questions like, "Describe your mumu for us in detail and tell us which aspect of your personality it most closely resembles."



Lynsi grabbed the coveted title, while Dawn and Kimber were the runners-up. This portion of the party was completely hilarious, especially because we got to hand pick the contestants, and none of them knew ahead of time. We found our beautiful rainbow duster staffs at the dollar store and I crafted the tiaras and sashes.

The next afternoon we held a small baby shower for Liz complete with more cupcakes for the party favor. I think we might have been a little cupcaked out at that point, but I'll share my new favorite cupcake recipe in case you think you might want one too.



This is how I made the cupcakes into a party favor for the shower: I just cut a piece of cardstock to size, put it with three small cupcakes on top into a cellophane bag and tied it closed with a ribbon.


Coconut Cupakes Nancy Style

1 box coconut cake mix
1 box coconut pudding mix
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and bake at 350 degrees. I used my mini cupcake pan and each batch made about 3 dozen cupcakes. If you're using regular sized cupcakes bake according to cake mix directions, but I believe I baked my cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes. Just watch them carefully and test with a toothpick, when it comes out clean, they're done! Then I frosted the cupcakes with homemade frosting (1 stick of butter, 1 tsp. vanilla, about 3-4 cups powdered sugar and 1-2 tbsp. of milk as needed, cream cheese frosting would be good too) and a sprinkle of shredded coconut, enjoy!

15 comments:

Angela said...

Someday, when you live in UT, will I be invited to all your cool parties?

Jennifer Woodbury said...

You have the best parties ever!

Steph said...

Thanks for the great idea, it was SO FUN! I am glad we could have one last party before you leave us. It was a night that I will never foget and can't wait until the next party!

Steph said...

p.s...I am thinking my hair is way TOO dark in those pics, gross! Maybe I am better off blonde?

Courtney said...

it looks like so much fun. love the pageant idea!

hendywow said...

Looks like it turned out to be a blast! By the way if you look that good, and stylish in a house dress, then your future as a Grandma looks HOT!

Keith and Lynsi said...

Nanc.
I'm pretty sure you are the best party thrower ever! I felt very lucky to be Mumu Mama! Thanks to you and Steph for such a fun girls night out! I loved your cupcakes!

Happy Birthday!

Toria said...

Nancy- so sad to miss out on your parties! Thanks for the shout out- it means so much to know I'm not forgotten.
Looks like Becky and I are on the same schedule to deliver. My mom just arrived, and I should go look for a house dress and have a little house dress stake out party until this boy decides to join us (or maybe I'll hang out in a house dress AFTER). Either way, it looks like a great way to pass the time.
I miss you! Good luck with the move! And tell Steph that when I was looking at the pics I was thinking "I love Steph's hair that color" (I guess I should stop on over to her blog and tell her myself.)
Happy upcoming birthday! When is moving day?

Dusty said...

Nancy,
Come and see Dawn whenever you would like. I would have called you but I don't have your number in my phone. Please, you are like family, feel free to come whenever you want.

Jen said...

What a great idea! The photos are hilarious and yet so beautiful at the same time. I might just have to steal the idea!

Katie said...

Oh my cute house dresses! I so wish I could have come. I even have a "modern moomoo" as I like to call it! You sure know how to throw a fun party. It so fun to see so many familiar faces. Thanks for posting so many pictures for me!

kimber said...

I can't wait to see what next years party is gonna bring. All I have to say is you better be coming back to Phoenix to throw another party.
Me and Tami were saying how sad we are that you're moving cause who's gonna throw fun parties?? (along with we will really miss you)
Thanks for the fun night!! and for the great pictures.

jules said...

I totally want to throw this kind of party. So much fun! And how great that Liz made the flight. What a trooper!

Kingohana said...

Thanks for the invite, that party was so much fun. I don't think I have laughed that much in a long time! great food, awesome women and fun times. Looking forward to next years themed party!

Liz said...

I am so glad I made it to the 1st Mumu Mamma House Dress Party. I wouldn't have missed it (even if you didn't throw me a shower!) It was just a better excuse to get my husband to let me come!!Thank you so much!! It was so fun to be there and see everyone again. I hope you have a very Happy Birthday this coming week.