Friday, December 12, 2008

Rum cake round table discussion

And now I present a round table discussion for my fellow observers of the Word of Wisdom. As a kid growing up I remember going to many a wedding reception where the wedding cake was a famed, Cathie's Rum cake. We're talking Mormon wedding receptions here. I don't think I even understood what the rum was, I just thought it was flavor of some kind, I didn't realize it was alcohol. That said, I realize that the alcohol is probably cooked out, and just leaves the flavor of rum. Anyway it was awesome cake. So the other day the Pioneer woman, who I love, posted a yummy looking rum cake recipe. One of the main ingredients in the cake is obviously, rum. So I said to Travis, do you think I could buy some rum to make this cake? He laughed at me, and said he didn't think I'd do it, but he wasn't too sure of the idea either. How do you all feel about buying alcohol for cooking purposes? I realize to some of my non-Mormon friends this dilemma is laughable, but I'm just trying to stick to my convictions here, and have my cake and eat it too! Discuss amongst yourselves, please. Here is the recipe if you're interested ala the lovely Pioneer Woman, Ree. The picture is from Ree's website, I hope she doesn't mind, and I will remove it gladly if she does. Seriously, I want to know what you think.

11 comments:

Emily said...

Buy it, make it, and share it with me.

Jennifer Woodbury said...

I've never thought it was an issue to cook with alcohol. I recently went to a birthday party for a church friend that was attended by all LDS women, and one of the main dishes served was a cheese fondue made with white wine (a Williams-Sonoma recipe). It was delicious by the way!

Anyway, I personally don't have a problem buying alcohol for cooking purposes. If you do decide to make the cake, let us know how it is. :)

Tami G. said...

I absolutely would not look down on anyone who does it, but I have to say, I don't think I ever could. It's just too hard-wired in my psyche (sp?). Plus, there are so many other yummy cakes out there in the world, that I can easily avoid the nervous, sweaty scene I would cause at the check out counter trying to buy boose.

J and Rachel Kirkham said...

I have no less than three bottles of wine, a bottle of rum, and a bottle of creme de menthe in my pantry at all times. The booze always cooks out...no WofW violations my dear so go buy some booze, its fun!

Ashlee said...

My mom used to buy packs and packs of chewing tobacco to sprinkle around our yeard because someone told her it would keep stray cats away. I always wondered what the neighbors thought! Ha.
I buy alcohol to cook with. Some things just don't taste the same without it.

Mike and Joy said...

I wouldn't worry about it. I know we are supposed to set examples for others, but remember who truely knows the intentions of your heart...and knows you aren't buying it to get sloppy!

Courtney said...

I buy and use cooking wines. I think buying the real stuff would probably be better but it just feels weird to me. I can't really see myself buying some bacardi.

And, yes I am one of those with Kathy Rum Cake at the wedding.

And as a weird side fact my word verification for this post is "wines"

liz said...

Well Im Catholic, so apparently we are all getting into the communion wine at every opportunity!! (NOT true!!) My father in law has just made us a wonderful Christmas cake, and I dread to think what went into that!!!! Seriously the alcohol would be burned off anyway. And if you have had the cake before, then surely it must be okay. One of our dearest friends and best man is Mormon (unfortunately lapsed) so I could ask him. Anyway as Mike and Joy said you, the intentions in your heart are good. That cake looks delish by the way, let us know how it goes...:)

Jen Rutter said...

Rum cake is one of my favorite treats-especially when it's hot! I say go for it!

The Clark Family said...

Hey you! I have been meaning to leave a comment for awhile - I just wanted to say thank you for your sweet comment about my dad - and of course I remember you!! It helps so much to know that there are so many people that still think about him - thank you for that.

I have truly loved following your blog and getting to know you and your family. I find myself getting lots of "home" inspiration from your blog :) We just went private with ours so please email me your address so I can add you - jktclark04@aol.com

I hope you and your family are doing fabulous and I will chat wih you soon!

Jen said...

I can honestly say that I haven't every purchased alcohol to cook with. I have purchased red wine vinegar....does that count? So I really don't have an opinion. The idea of going into the liquer section and picking out some rum makes me feel a little funny (drinking it probably would too! HA). However, I never overlook a menu option at a restaurant because it has alchol in it. It doesn't even phase me. I figure the alcohol cooks out and so we're good. However I do remember ordering a dessert that had alcohol and it OBVIOUSLY wasn't cooked out. It tasted awful and so I didn't eat it.