Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Just call me Scrooge

So I'm feeling very uncreative this Holiday season. I'll tell you a dirty little secret. I didn't even put up my Christmas tree. Gasp, shock and sheer horror, I know! Anyone who knows me well knows how much I look forward to putting up the Christmas decorations every year. Travis usually makes me wait until at least Thanksgiving day to put them up, but this year everyone kept saying, when are you going to put the Christmas decorations up? I'm not one of those sweet mothers that lets her children decorate the tree. No I'm the controlling kind who prefers to decorate the tree herself so it will look "just so." Don't get me wrong, I let the kids get involved in other ways, but the decorations are mine all mine. But I just wasn't feeling it this year. We are looking to very possibly, probably, most-likely, I hate to count my eggs before they are hatched, move to another state in January, (is this a run-on sentence?) and I just didn't want to get all the decorations out. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the whole moving prospect, plus we aren't going to be here for the actual Christmas holiday. So I put up the majority of my decorations, and I put lights on two little topiary trees in my living room, but no tree. My kids are mad at me. So I tell them to enjoy the neighbor's tree and that they will get to see both of their Grandmothers trees very soon.

And then my husband's birthday seemed to sneak up on me too. I usually make a big deal out of his birthday since it's so close to Christmas and I don't want it to feel over looked. But this year he was sick, and I hadn't found a lot in the way of gifts, so we just had a small family party. He wanted me to rent the newer Narnia movie to watch with the kids. So I grabbed it out of the redbox at the grocery store, and came home to put it on only to find that I had the BBC version of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Trouble, I was in trouble. But we had a good laugh at the movie's special effects, and the kids enjoyed it. I even used refrigerated pizza dough for the pizzas I made. My mom would be very disappointed. I'll try harder next year, I promise.



Despite my lack of decor and holiday hoopla the kids are still excited about Christmas. Hallie went to lunch with Santa last week, and Dallas brought home this cute letter to Santa from school. I think it's my favorite decoration of all, so I framed it and know I will cherish it for years to come. Here's to getting in the holiday spirit, maybe some gingerbread making is in order.

10 comments:

Dave & Mandi said...

That is a lot of work to put up all those decorations only to pack up a couple weeks later...plus some of our neighbors have enough decorations for everyone! Love the football cake, very impressive...I would call that going out of your way!

Angela said...

I think your cake is cute! And what does the last sentance in Dalla's letter say?

Nancy said...

Ang, the last sentence says, "What is your reindeers called?" It was cute because the teacher had some older kids write back to the first graders answering their letters as elves, and the girl elf told Dallas all of the reindeer names. I love this age!

jennifer woodbury said...

We moved in January two years ago. It is hard to fully get in the holiday spirit with so much on your plate. I did put up a tree, but we also stayed home for Christmas so I didn't really have a choice.

I love Travis' cake by the way.

Most importantly, where are you (maybe possibly) moving??!!

pam said...

What a great birthday cake! Happy Birthday Travis! I am never disappointed when you simplify your life instead of making it more complicated by doing everything from scratch.

Courtney said...

the cake looks great. i loved his letter. did you find a motorcycle for him (is that what that says?)? I did minimal decorating this year as well. With renting I just don't feel all that settled plus we have a room of boxes and I just can't find some stuff.

Karla Rauch said...

I love christmas too. I have to say that the decorations are so time consuming. I think I would feel the same way if I were in your situation.

hendywow said...

Okay, Nanc, I was in your home recently, and it was very feastive! With your hand-sewn decor and lights, you are a wonderful mom who usually puts us all to shame in this area maybe I can measure up this Holiday....Seriously, your home felt very Christmay, I didn't notice the missing tree till you pointed it out. Have fun freezin your tail off in that Holiday climate! BTW I am goingto write that book!

Anonymous said...

So when your are sick as a dog and you feel all is lost, I was sent an angel. Funny thing my angel nancy I get to have her everyday in my life. Nancy rocks and is a hottie- travis

Emily said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to decorate the tree when you aren't going to be there to enjoy it. I am just as controlling about decorating my tree. I don't know why I care so much, but I do. Is your possible move bringing you to UT? If so you need to let me know. I would love to get together.