Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Dawn


Before I have memories with Dawn I have memories of her. I don't remember officially meeting her, she was just always there. No one could miss the beautiful and shy little girl with the curly hair, fluffy dress, and matching tights. We went to church together from a very young age, but Dawn was in the older class so we didn't interact with each other at first. Somehow I think I always knew we'd be friends. Who wouldn't want a friend with coordinating tights. I don't know that she felt the same way from the beginning. We were in a dance class together before we started playing as friends. When our little sisters got together to play somehow we got roped into the fun as well. I say roped because I think legend has it Dawn thought I was kind of weird at first. I wonder if she ever changed her mind on that one. Weird or not we instantly became best friends.

Weekends and after school were often spent at Dawn and Dusty's house. We'd order Domino's pizza, eat junk food out of their well stocked pantry, and give each other oatmeal facials. And when we weren't having sleep overs on the roof we could be found reporting the news, making movies, and playing, uh hum, bar. Yes somehow even little Mormon girls have fun mixing drinks (don't read anything else into that, we were and stayed good girls). At least we liked to drink out of the fun wine glasses and make strange concoctions out of whatever we could find in the refrigerator. I don't think we realized that the concoction we were really creating was a life long friendship.

Those days feel like a million years ago, but the hopes and dreams we had then are still fresh in my mind. We spent a lot of time as girls dreaming of the lives we'd lead. I can remember late nights laying on that trampoline nestled in that desert mountain staring at the stars, talking about boys, and making plans for our future. And somehow the cosmos were listening and I think we managed to make all of those dreams come true. It's hard to believe that we are here living the lives we planned for. We went away to college together, married the boys we fell in love with, and are having the time of our lives raising our young families. And through it all, the good and the bad, we have remained friends. I can't wait for the next chapter in our lives, and know that you will always be my friend. Happy Birthday Dawn, here's to the next thirty years!
*Read below for my giveaway, it's still going!*

9 comments:

Emily said...

Happy birthday, Dawn! I'm happy for the friendship you two have.

{Isn't it the next thirty-one years?}

Toria said...

Happy Birthday Dawn! I love my memories with Dawn and Nancy- so fun!

Nancy said...

you see Emily, now she is into her next thirty years, that's what I mean, plus it's a Tim McGraw song too.

Emily said...

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm pretty sure she was into her next thirty years the day after her 30th birthday.

Dawn said...

Nancy! Thank you for the wonderful birthday tribute. You are a one of a kind friend that has always been there for me, friends like that are hard to come by. I feel so blessed to have all those fun childhood memories together. I know my childhood was definately more exciting thanks to you. I don't think I would have come up with a 5th grade cuties list on my own!! We've had so much fun together and I am looking forward to the next 30 years. I love you Nance!!

Dawn said...

ps: you summed up our weekends perfectly, I'm copying this and saving it. I could never sum it up that good!

Nancy said...

Emily here goes a dead horse, it's mostly about a Tim McGraw song, I'm taking it you don't know the song. Thanks for the clarification on her already being into her next thirty years.

Emily said...

You're right. I am Tim McGraw ignorant.

Steph said...

Happy Birthday Dawn! We are all lucky to have her a part of our lives...I always loved the roof sleepovers!

I am still laughing at the dead horse!!!