Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Giving Thanks

Anyone who ever took a class with me in High School or College knows that I was Queen of doodling. I always looked very intent on the notes I was taking, keyword being looked. I did take notes, don't get me wrong. But surrounding my notes were doodle upon doodle. Mostly bubble letters. I think I began my bubble letter obsession in about the third grade, and it carried me all the way through college. Would you believe that I have used my bubble letter skills in my life more than anything I ever learned in Environmental Biology? Who knew my parents would get their money's worth out of my college education in such a round about way? (Just kidding Mom. Kind of.) Well this project put my bubble letter skills to the test. Since these letters are ironed on they have to be drawn, get this, backwards. Oh yes, I said backwards. As soon as bubble letter writing becomes an Olympic Sport I will be ready. Backwards and forwards. Michael Phelps has got nothing on me! In other words this is what I spent the morning doing, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I've concentrated my Holiday decorating on my mantle because my house is eternally for sale. I don't think my Christmas decorations can be contained this much, but for now my Thanksgiving decor is sticking to the mantle, literally.

8 comments:

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Very Cute. You make the best things. I wish I had some of that Talent. Speaking of, every year you make those yummy carmel, chocolate covered pretzle sticks...I would really like to give it a try. Can you give me the recipe,directions? or is it a family secret?

pam said...

Love your Thanksgiving Banner and all the mantle decorations. You are truly talented with your bubble letters. I can't imagine that anyone looking at the house wouldn't like your decorations.
PS You had better tell the above commenter that the caramel and chocolate dipped pretzels recipe is a family secret, funny how it has leaked out over the whole country!

Nancy said...

For Bonnie: the pretzel recipe is not so much of a family secret. My mom is kidding by the way. The secret is in the caramel we use. It's expensive, but it lasts forever and is incredibly easy to work with. It's called Nestle/Peter's Caramel and you buy it in a 5 lb. block. You can buy it at the bosch store by me, but if you google it I'm sure you could find it online too. Then you just buy the pretzel rods and cut them in half by sawing them with a serated knife. Dip them in the melted caramel, then let them dry completely and dip again in almond bark. Then you can put sprinkles or drizzle another kind of chcocolate over top. They are yummy. Hopefully this makes sense. By the way you can buy almond bark this time of year at any grocery store, it is just an easy melting chocolate type candy coating.

Angela said...

Turned out cute, Nanc. I like the pom-poms best!

Angela said...

p.s I can't believe you gave out the family secret!! If Dad hadn't already written you out of the will for those holes in your ears, you'd be out now for sure!

hendywow said...

I love that one! You are quite the designer lately!

Steph said...

I alway's thought you were so good at making bubble letters! Glad you could put them to use on something so cute...love it!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Thanks Nancy!