Sunday, October 26, 2008

Trunk or Treat 08

Last night we had our annual ward Trunk or Treat. For any of you non Trunk or Treaters out there that's a party in the church parking lot where we had a chili cook off followed by trunk or treating (people decorate their trunks for Halloween and the kids go trick or treating car to car). I was excited, except that I was upset to not be able to go to the Nie Benefit Concert, but other than that I was rearing to go to the Trunk or Treat. I decided last minute (3:00 p.m. before the 6:00 p.m. party) maybe I needed something to wear to the party. Now if you know me at all you know I don't do costumes, it's just not my thing. Last time I dressed up for Halloween I was a football player and Travis was a cheerleader, and that was Dallas' first Halloween. Although it was kind of fun I just feel really dumb the whole time I'm in a costume. So I needed something that would work for Halloween without being a true costume.

My solution. I have an orange shirt I bought this summer before I realized orange is not my color. I've worn it a few times and thought I should just applique something on that real quick. But I don't do simple very well and decided I had enough material to make a cute apron to go with it. Well the ruffle God's were smiling upon me yesterday (for my mom or anyone whose ever made a ruffle you know this is tricky and can easily go wrong, very wrong). But for only about the third ruffle I've ever made it went really well, fast, and I didn't even break the thread. So in about an hour and a half I had a fun new apron (which I wore over jeans) to wear with my fun new shirt and after a stop at the drug store on our way to the Trunk or Treat I had a hat.



Oh and somewhere in between all that I made white chili for the chili cook off. I was kind of worried as I'd never made this recipe before but I wanted to try something different. I was skeptical about the recipe, so I tried to hide my chili among the others (this wasn't hard as there were at least 25 crock pots of chili) and didn't even eat it myself. But when I went to pick up my crock pot at the end of the night there were people waiting by it to tell me how good it was. Then I felt a little guilty for not trying my own pot of chili as it turned out to be a hit.

Good times. Except for the fact that Travis was in Utah last night. He's been out of town on business all week and I did this event all by myself. Which by the way is no fun at all. We really have missed him and can't wait to see him tonight. Here was my text to him at the end of the night: "If you die I am remarrying." His reply: "Marry for money." That is why I love Trav, he completely understands that I need him, and can't live without him and can express that in three simple words: Marry for money.
Oh and the kids had fun too. I got these pics of them before we took off and they turned out a little funny. Dallas wouldn't really smile because as he put it, "Pirates don't smile." And he also wouldn't put his arm around his sister or let her put her arms around him because as he put it, "Pirates don't hug." And Hallie must think that pirates dance and jump around because that is all she would do. So crazy pics aside I think my pirate children had a good time. I told Trav for real Halloween I've got some pirate stuff for him. His reply: "I don't wanna be a pirate." That is for you Katie and all my Seinfeld friends out there.

13 comments:

Courtney said...

love the pirate costumes and that orange fabric in your apron. you really are too crafty!

J and Rachel Kirkham said...

You're the craftiest person I know!!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Sounds like fun, I wish our ward did trunk or treat. Your kids look so cute in their costumes. Happy Halloween!

Jacque said...

i'm lovin' the pirates! and yours and travis' texts crack me up! when i am choosing chili at our trunk or treat party, i look for the jerry king labeled crockpot. it's always delish. i wish i could've tried yours!

Sarah said...

Nancy, How do you just whip things up? You got skills! Cute apron and cute pirates.

Becky said...

1. Nancy = Amazing, love the costume
2. "Pirates don't change diapers, they don't even change socks."
3. Trav, thanks for taking good care of my sis and making us all laugh :)

pam said...

Love your apron and shirt and the witch hat, the kids look cute too. Glad you had fun at the trunk or treat. We saw Travis for long enough for me to hem his pants. He wouldn,t try them on afterwards so I hope they were O.K.

Katie said...

Loved the new apron Nancy. And I most appreciated the Seinfeld comment! I've been known to be at the sewing machine in my undies on a Sunday making a dress one hour before church because I just couldn't find anything in my closet to wear. We must be sisters! AND I love that you and Trav text each other.

hendywow said...

Thanks so much for supporting me on the trunk or treat! I know you really wanted to go to the concert..so did I. And your a great mom.

Steph said...

I love the apron, very cute. Your little pirates are cute too. Hallie makes a cute girl pirate, love it!

Dave & Mandi said...

I am so impressed that you threw your outfit together so quickly!! It turned out very cute!!!

MarySue said...

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog to wish me a happy birthday. It really meant alot to me. You know I am such a fan of yours!

MarySue said...

Me, again. I just read your comment at my blog. Re: The Secret Life of Bees - I didn't read the book, many in the group had and loved it and the movie too. I loved the movie. Very passionate and emotional. See it. Happy Halloween sweet gal.