Monday, October 20, 2008

Grown-Up pizza crust

I've been thinking lately how age and maturity are more than the number on your driver's licence. They both boil down to how you feel and experiences you have. Last week my friend Courtney did a blog post about how she feels more like a grown-up these days because of some of the more domestic skills she's acquired as of late. And my daughter Hallie who is all of five and one week has been noticing all the things she can now do since her birthday. Like for instance, Saturday night we went to dinner and Dallas made a huge mess with his rice. For whatever reason Dallas has a hard time getting rice into his mouth, and he usually ends up with half of it on the floor. During dinner we were commenting on the huge mess Dallas had made and Hallie said in all sincerity, "I totally used to make messes like that when I was four." This remark sparked quite a bit of laughter from her parents as she has only been five for a mere week. But Hallie totally meant what she said, and has been pointing out all week how mature she now is (today she even did the dishes for the first time). During dinner last night Travis said, "Does it ever blow you away that we're the parents?" My reply was yes it does. Sometimes I feel like as a parent I just try to fake it till I make it, and hope that my kids don't end up messed up. I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job, but at the same time I'm sure my parents did it better and were more sure about what they were doing.




Anyway that is all beside my point here, one of the things Court said she felt so grown up about was the fact that she regularly bakes with yeast, something she didn't used to do. Then in the comments my friend Stephanie said she must not be grown up because she still hadn't ventured into baking with yeast. So I thought, I'll give Stephanie, and anyone else who wants to try it, my favorite pizza crust recipe. This recipe will make you feel good because it's easy, it involves yeast and it tastes yummy. This crust is so simple and it works perfectly every time. Once my mom came to stay and made the crust for me and hers turned out even better than mine. So don't have your very Marthaish Mom make this if you're trying to feel good about yourself, and don't give yourself too much credit, it's so easy anyone can do it. I bet by next week even Hallie will be making it. But I can't take the credit for it, Katie my sister gave it to me and she got it from someone named Jay via Allrecipes.com. But I think once you've made a recipe at least 10 times you own it and can call it your own. So for the purposes of this post I'm calling it:

Nancy's (by way of Katie and Jay) Grown-Up Pizza Crust

(if you're noticing that it looks like I didn't use sauce on this pizza it's because I used ranch dressing instead of tomato sauce, a favorite pizza parlor trick of mine. Okay I stole it from my Mom, but that is beside the point.)




2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

1/2 tsp. brown sugar (I put a little more)

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 Tbsp. honey

1 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour



Directions: In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and honey in the water and let sit 10 minutes. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 and 1/2 cups of the flour. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should usually take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, and form into two tight balls of dough (enough for two good sized crusts). Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake at 425 degrees. Bake pizza in preheated oven until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.



Note: when I first started making this I would use my KitchenAid, but my mom showed me that you don't even need to use it, and then you don't have to wash all the parts. I just use a big bowl, a whisk and a good old-fashioned wooden spoon. But feel free to use your grown-up KitcheAid or Bosch, whatever makes you happy!

P.S. that was a really long, drawn-out story to get to one simple recipe. Now you kind of know what it's like to hang out with me.

14 comments:

Courtney said...

Looks good and it does sound easy but that doesn't mean I'll be successful. I think Jiffy is as homemade as it comes for me and pizza crust. But, you have inspired me to reach higher (I sort of have to after you reminded me I'm a grown up now).

Becky said...

Sounds like the Kitchen Curse has been lifted! I will be trying this soon. If its disasterous, I will go on a date to CPK to make up for it. YUM!

Angela said...

I liked your P.S.

Steph said...

If I can make pizza dough, anyone can. My recipe is slightly different than yours, I might try yours next time. And you are right, I am "grown up" because I have been cooking with yeast...but only active yeast. If I had to activate it myself I am sure my kitchen would be a disaster! The ranch sounds yummy! I liked your ps too! And, I can't believe I am a parent most days. I have an almost 9 year old and we participated in the Pinewood Derby. I think I am all grown up and old!

Kelli said...

I'm Kelli and I read your blog. Thanks for the recipe because I was thinking just last week about trying to make our own pizzas. I think my grown up 5 year old will think it's fun. I like your PS too because that's how I am!

kimber said...

Yah, I don't think I'm that grown up yet. I don't know if it's cause I'm lazy or not grown up but I just have no desire to cook with yeast. I know I should give it a try.

~Cari said...

I don't use yeast very often, mostly because I don't like the smell or the flavor. The only time I use it is with cinnamon rolls. My husband is such a 'big kid' that it is VERY hard to realize that we are grown up and have these wonderful children of our own. He says he's gonna be a kid even when we have grandchildren. I hope so!!
PS- I tried to click on Stephanie's link but she's got a private blog. Do you think she'd let me in? Will you ask her? I don't have her email address. If so, my email is carifilippone@yahoo.com

Nancy said...

Hello there Cari W! I emailed Stephanie, I don't think she'll care at all, she's just trying to play it safe in the blog world. Fun to see you checking in.

Katie said...

Nancy, I love your blog posts. Every time I read your stories it reminds me of all the reasons I love you. You always make me laugh. When are you moving to the North West?

Karla Rauch said...

Nancy,
I am so glad that I ventured over to read your blog today. I was planning on making Hawaiian pizza tonight for dinner, but I wanted to try out a new crust recipe. So waaaallllaaa I have one now. Thank you so much...

Karla Rauch said...

Ok thanks, so do you use ranch as the sauce or just dipping???

Karla Rauch said...

Ok so I will stop leaving comments on this post. If I would just read things thoroughly then maybe I wouldn't have to ask so many questions... Sorry...Thanks for the tip.

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

I love Hallie. How cute is she. Sounds yummy looks like a really easy recipe. I have never made home made pizza crust before. Thanks I'll try it.

pam said...

Glad to hear that you thought your parents knew what they were doing. Also I am glad Hallie is not making a mess when she eats now that she has turned 5.