Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Disaster in the Kitchen

Something has gone wrong. Something is not right. There was a huge disaster in my kitchen last night!

So over the weekend at our Super Saturday we had a cooking demonstration on homemade carmel apples. They looked easy enough. Then my sister Becky posted the homemade carmel apples she made on her blog. So when I saw Granny Smith apples on sale at Fry's yesterday I thought I'd be a good mom and get the ingredients for the homemade carmel, and have a little Fall Fun with the Family. Well I'm keeping it real here folks. These carmel apples were disastrous. The carmel started out well enough. I followed all the directions, and my only problem was that I don't have a candy thermometer. I can handle that right? I'll just have to keep testing the carmel to get it to the "soft ball" stage. Well I let it go to long, and that's where it all went very, very wrong. Have you ever had a mildly burnt HARD toffee covered apple? You know those butterscotch See's candy suckers? Imagine an apple encased in that stuff. That is what I produced. Hallie was trying to eat one and we were laughing through our tears as she tried with all her might to even get a bite. She settled for licking. Dallas tried to make me feel better by telling me that at least it would help him get his loose tooth out. Then Travis walked in the door and into the mayhem. I couldn't even pretend to be having fun. I wish I was better at failure, but I have a very hard time when things go wrong in the kitchen my sense of humor goes out the window.

So I pulled out the old block of carmel I had in the cupboard from last Christmas. Melted it in the microwave. Took a knife to chip the toffee off the apples, and re dipped them in the store bought carmel. This made me feel a little better, but they still aren't very good, and certainly don't taste very yummy. I think we'll have to visit the mall this weekend to satisfy our carmel apple cravings. My suggestion to anyone wishing for Fall Family Fun is go out for store bought carmel apples, you'll save yourself a lot of mess and stress.

I couldn't even bring myself to take pictures of this culinary catastrophe so you will just have to imagine the devastation for yourself. I promise it was worse in person, too horrible to imagine. And it didn't help that my orange chicken I had made for dinner tasted as Hallie put it "too much like oranges." She was right, the kitchen was cursed last night. Just keeping it real folks.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I've had the same experience before with the 'no candy thermometer' situation. It's maddening to waste all that time and ingredients. You'll have to uncurse your kitchen and make a sure thing!

liz said...

I LOVE IT!! I have certainly had the "well I won't be trying that again" situation as the family look on in bewilderment, and wondering what on earth I was thinking!! Thank you for your honesty. Im off to tackle breakfast!!! :)

MarySue said...

I think I should feel sorry for you but you wrote in such a humorous style that you got me laughing. Sorry.

Courtney said...

I'm glad the kids at least got a good laugh at the situation!

pam said...

I'd really rather cut up my fresh apples instead of biting into them behind a sticky layer of candy anyways. Not that I don't like the candy, just have them separate and take one bite of apple and then a bite of candy. Much simpler. And it saves on the wear and tear on the kitchen and the cook.

Becky said...

Oh, Nancy! You didn't think I made my own caramel, did you? My candy thermometer broke years ago and I haven't replaced it. Mine are caramel candies mixed with 2 T of milk and melted in the microwave. They work like a charm. Homemade would be better IF we had candy thermometors. I've never eyeballed softball stage right in my life! I feel for you girl. But goodness knows you are an excellent cook so this curse can't last long.

Angela said...

Don't worry, I can one up that. I tried it a couple of years ago with store bought carmels, but didn't know to add the 2 T of milk. Same basic result as yours, but I wasn't even trying to be home-made!

just me said...

oh don't tell me that, nancy! i am planning on trying it with the kids on friday since it's early relase (stupid parent/teacher conferences!) ... i think i'm going to just buy the caramel block from dottie's - hopefully that will help?

Jennifer Perkes said...

Nancy,
Yes I thought I would be a good mom and have some fall fun as well. However, after my first try at it I would give the same advice to anyone thinking about making caramel apples. Go and buy them!!!! My apples weren't quite as disasterous. Yours were overcooked, mine undercooked. The plain caramel ones worked pretty well. I tried to make the apple pie ones and those were ugly! They tasted good though. The white chocolate didn't work out so great. It made all the caramel come off and it was cracked and well just ugly! Caramel apples- not worth the trouble!!