Something has gone wrong. Something is not right. There was a huge disaster in my kitchen last night!
So over the weekend at our Super Saturday we had a cooking demonstration on homemade carmel apples. They looked easy enough. Then my sister Becky posted the homemade carmel apples she made on her blog. So when I saw Granny Smith apples on sale at Fry's yesterday I thought I'd be a good mom and get the ingredients for the homemade carmel, and have a little Fall Fun with the Family. Well I'm keeping it real here folks. These carmel apples were disastrous. The carmel started out well enough. I followed all the directions, and my only problem was that I don't have a candy thermometer. I can handle that right? I'll just have to keep testing the carmel to get it to the "soft ball" stage. Well I let it go to long, and that's where it all went very, very wrong. Have you ever had a mildly burnt HARD toffee covered apple? You know those butterscotch See's candy suckers? Imagine an apple encased in that stuff. That is what I produced. Hallie was trying to eat one and we were laughing through our tears as she tried with all her might to even get a bite. She settled for licking. Dallas tried to make me feel better by telling me that at least it would help him get his loose tooth out. Then Travis walked in the door and into the mayhem. I couldn't even pretend to be having fun. I wish I was better at failure, but I have a very hard time when things go wrong in the kitchen my sense of humor goes out the window.
So I pulled out the old block of carmel I had in the cupboard from last Christmas. Melted it in the microwave. Took a knife to chip the toffee off the apples, and re dipped them in the store bought carmel. This made me feel a little better, but they still aren't very good, and certainly don't taste very yummy. I think we'll have to visit the mall this weekend to satisfy our carmel apple cravings. My suggestion to anyone wishing for Fall Family Fun is go out for store bought carmel apples, you'll save yourself a lot of mess and stress.
I couldn't even bring myself to take pictures of this culinary catastrophe so you will just have to imagine the devastation for yourself. I promise it was worse in person, too horrible to imagine. And it didn't help that my orange chicken I had made for dinner tasted as Hallie put it "too much like oranges." She was right, the kitchen was cursed last night. Just keeping it real folks.