Thursday, August 7, 2008

Spaghetti for the Broken Dawn

So I'm done. Finished. I read the whole dang thing. It's really hard for me to finish a book, not hard in that it's hard to read it, but hard in that I don't know what to do with myself when I'm done. I was so immersed in Breaking Dawn since Monday morning when I picked it up at Costco, along with my frozen yogurt (a girl can't read alone), that I don't know what to do with myself since I finished yesterday.

Part of why I'm more bored than usual is that I've been trying to keep my house really clean. Have I mentioned that my house is up for sale. It is, and so I've been sitting in a clean house waiting for it to sell. I'm not sewing, I'm not painting, and I'm not doing anything that would make a mess. Translation: I'm bored. So the book was great while it lasted (that is all I will say about it here so don't worry) but now I need something to do. So I've taken to photographing my dinner. Travis thinks I'm a freak. Maybe I am, but I was so pleased with the dinner I made tonight that I decided to share it with you. Last night we had "breakfast for dinner." This seems to be a weekly staple around here, one of the easy meals I make that my kids will actually eat. So we had leftover turkey bacon (Oscar Mayer/Lewis Rich) I buy it at Costco we love it) from last night. I was trying to think of what I could put it in, and I decided to try my hand at Spaghetti Carbonara, and it was really easy, really fast, and really good. So here's how I made it.


Spaghetti Carbonara Ala Nancy

1 box thin spaghetti

1 Tbsp. olive oil

8 slices cooked turkey bacon chopped (any kind of bacon will do)

1/4 onion diced

1 clove garlic minced

2 eggs beaten

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese

salt to taste

dried Italian seasonings


Boil your pasta until al dente, drain well. While pasta is boiling saute onion in olive oil in separate large skillet. When onion is translucent add minced garlic, cook one minute and then add drained, cooked pasta (heat should be low to medium). Pour beaten eggs over pasta and toss until eggs cook. (Note: this is not scrambled eggs, they just coat the pasta and cook from the heat of the pasta) Once eggs have cooked add Parmesan cheese (I used both kinds, but one is fine). Add chopped bacon, salt to taste and Italian seasonings (1-2 tsp.). If I'm being honest here I should also tell you that I added about 4 Tbsp. of butter at this point, nobody likes dry pasta! Enjoy.


I've thought about trying this for a while now, but wasn't certain about the whole egg part. Now that I've made it I should tell you it was so easy and really good!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm just amazed you had leftover bacon. Your household has better self control than does my household!

Courtney said...

This looks so good. So does turkey bacon taste like regular bacon?

pam said...

Your spaghetti looks good. Glad you enjoyed your book. I guess you will have to start patronizing your local library if reading is the only recreation you allow yourself. Or you could allow a teeny little mess every now and then, one that is easy to clean up!