Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Poster Girl

Somehow in my life I've always been the poster girl. Literally. I can remember as a kid being asked by multiple women in my ward to make posters for whatever they were hosting at church. And every friend (and their friends) who ever needed a poster for school called me up to make it for them. I can still remember specific posters that I made, and for whom. I was Carrie McManus' campaign manager in the 5th grade, and made her a poster with Care Bears saying, "Vote for Carrie, she cares!" No wonder she won, how could you lose with that brilliant campaign slogan? And that was only the beginning of my political poster career.
So I guess I shouldn't be surprised when my neighbor calls and says she wants a poster of Spongebob for her son's birthday party. I don't mind really, and take on the challenge every time, somehow managing to put hours into silly little posters. After all, I hate putting my name on something I'm not proud of. My rendition of Spongebob is missing his red tie so the kids could play, "pin the tie on Spongebob." But I gotta say, I was rather impressed with how he turned out, even if the picture is a bit blurry. Too bad this talent hasn't gotten me much in life, anyone know how to turn a million dollar profit from poster making? Raise your hand if I've ever made a poster for you...


Oh and here's a teaser for Kate, can't wait to see you in Canada!

6 comments:

pam said...

Cute, Nancy. Hope the kids have fun playing pin the red tie on Sponge Bob. He's one cartoon character that I've never really understood. I guess it's a generational thing.

Mandy said...

My mom and I love all of the posters you have made for us. And Kate will love her suprise!

Austin said...

I am very impressed, Nancy, that poster looks Pro, as does the tag!

Katie said...

OOOOHHHHH! I hate teasing...but I lOVE surprises. I get all choked up just thinking that you're thinking of me, let alone that you've made me something. We still treasure the blanket you made for Truman! What a special sister you are! So I'm looking at the poster and did you make that! You are strangely good at replicating Sponge Bob Square Pants. What a talent!

Dawn said...

Your poster is amazing! Zoe would be so impressed because she thinks I can draw sooooo well, and you know how talented I really am in that area. ha ha Anyway, I also love the pioneer woman blog. I hadn't heard of her yet either. Hope your summer is rockin!

Autumn said...

One of my favorite posters of all time was for my 18th birthday and it had "Autumn's Bottom" written all over it. I can't tell you how lucky I felt and still feel to have been the recipient of one of Nancy's posters!!