Monday, July 28, 2008

Canada catch up!

Despite the fact that there were record gas prices this summer, my family decided to hold our reunion in Canada. I know, long drive, and yes, we drove. But it was so worth it, and I have so many fun pictures and memories to share. We broke up the long trip by stopping on the way in St. George, Utah. We had heard about an outdoor Broadway theater venue there called Tuachan and wanted to check it out, so some of us started the reunion there. We had so much fun, and I would recommend this to anyone who wants to give their children a taste of Broadway on the cheap in a breathtaking setting. We saw The Sound of Music and Les Miserables and loved them both. We also took time to tour the St. George Tabernacle and Temple, both of which were beautiful and testimony building when you hear the stories of the early Saints who built them. I really liked St. George and told Travis I could easily live there, but that is probably not going to happen any time soon. Maybe someday a Winter home...?





From St. George we made an overnight stop at my parent's home in Utah Valley before the long leg of the trip North. It takes about fourteen hours to get to Southern Alberta where we spent the majority of our reunion, but this is a trip we took every Summer as kids, and I wanted my children to see where their Grandmother was born and raised. We stayed in Cardston where the Alberta temple is, and spent most of our time in a Canadian National Park named Waterton. It is the Canadian end of Glacier National Park filled with breathtaking mountains, lakes and wildlife. On our first day there we saw 4 bears, a fox, a coyote, chipmunks, prairie dogs, and lots and lots of deer. We spent the days there hiking and exploring, shopping and playing. One night the adults made a trip to visit the beautiful temple there. I have never been inside before, so it was a great experience to do a session with my family, minus my husband, who had to return home for business and didn't get to come to Canada. We also visited some of my mom's relatives who live in Raymond, the town my mom grew up in, and a place we know well from summers in Canada as kids. It was just nice to be in a beautiful setting with good weather, and among family. I only have one first cousin, so we really enjoy doing reunions and allowing our kids to grow up with cousins and aunts and uncles. We really get a kick out of this and even do the whole reunion T-shirt bit. I took so many pictures I don't even know where to start!



While we were on our reunion trip my Mom and Dad celebrated their 36th wedding anniversary. It was fun to visit the temple where they were married all those years ago and also the beautiful Prince of Whales Hotel where they spent their Honeymoon. The Alberta temple is beautiful and it was so fun to be in a session with everyone. We really had a wonderful time.













On our last night in Canada we had a "weenie roast," I know funny name, but that is what they call it there. We roasted Hot Dogs and Smore's and had a little baby shower for Katie who is having her third boy at the end of September. I made a quilt for her. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, this was a real patchwork that I made using scraps of fabric I already had. She really liked it.


If you tilt your head you can see a picture of us after I gave it to her, no matter how I save this photo I don't seem to be able to get blogger to upload it right, that is so irritating, any suggestions?






As my Dad would say, "A lovely time was had by all." We really had such a good time, it was hard to return home to the 110 degree weather. We spent a week after Canada in Utah playing with cousins on my side and Travis'. Somehow I didn't manage to take any photos after the Canada part. We went to lunch and church one Sunday with my Mom and Dad at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo. My Dad is in one of the District presidencies there and we were lucky enough to go inside and see how it all works. There is such a wonderful spirit there. I was glad my kids got to go in and see all the Missionaries preparing to serve. I hope it is a memory that sticks with them. I had been in a few times before in college when I got to work in the phone center for a religion class. With all the family events I never even got to see friends there, sorry, but I have a feeling we'll be up there again soon. I guess we have to get back to reality now, school starts in a couple weeks, and we have our house up for sale. That is never fun, but a good excuse to keep my house organized. Wish me luck!


13 comments:

Courtney said...

Welcome back! I love all the pics. It sounds like it was a great trip. The drive sounds horrible but its so beautiful I can almost imagine going! Who designed the t-shirts?

Mandy said...

Love those shirts. Who made them? Glad you are bak. Let's get together soon.

Sarah said...

We loved Tuhacan and St. George too! Sounds like a wonderful trip!

pam said...

Love all your pictures. I am so glad that the trip turned out so well. I was worried that everyone would resent having to drive so far and then have bad weather or not find it fun and beautiful enough to be worth while. But it all turned out so great and everyone had such a good time and I am happy with all of it. Thanks for putting up with the middle seat in the back all the way!

Stephanie said...

Looks like a fun trip, I love all the pictures! Now...let's get planning your next trip!!

Dawn said...

Love the pictures! Canada is so fun (since I've recently experienced it myself) I never knew what a great place you were visiting all those summers when we were growing up. I'm glad you all had such a great time. Can't wait for our trip now!

Toria said...

how fun- welcome back!!! The quilt is SO darling! I love the fabric choices- very very cute! What a fun trip- the fresh air, lake and mountains looked beautiful. I've only been to Alberta once and I was in awe of the true beauty of the outdoors. It looks like a fun family reunion- and great shirts (ones they can wear again too- so stylish!)
Good luck with the house sale although I'm secretly hoping that you'll somehow be there when I go home next time- I guess I can make it to Utah if you're not in AZ!

j & rachel kirkham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
danandjulee said...

Looks like a very memorable trip! Love those scenic pictures. Thanks for the tips about St. George. I'll file that away for future reference. Also, LOVE that quilt! GORGEOUS! Glad you made it back home safely. Good luck with the house!

Nancy said...

Rachel, that would be fun to get together in September, you're lucky you got to escape the AZ heat for so long! Did you make it to N.H. at all? I think Liz said this is one of the rare summers she didn't make it there, too bad, that place is amazing, definitely give me a call!

hendywow said...

What a beautiful place! And a great family trip, I wish could have tagged along, and gotten out of this heat.

Emily said...

what a fun trip. Loved reading about it and seeing your pics. Beautiful! Nancy, I love the quilt. You are so talented. I use my bag you made for me every day!

Angela said...

"In C-A-N-A-D-A!" Thanks for posting all the pics. It was so fun to spend time with everyone! It made me more excited for you to move to Utah!