You might not believe me, but I swear Dallas started talking at about 9 months and has never stopped. This boy keeps me on my toes with questions, and never forgets anything you say. He likes to call me out when I do something wrong, and even keeps his eye on my speed when I'm driving. He has an innate sense of right and wrong and strives so hard to be good. I've never met anyone quite like him. Many times I feel undeserving of him, but thank Heavenly Father everyday for the gift that he truly is.
Since birthdays are a big deal at our house we start planning them about six months in advance. Since Dallas had a big birthday party last year I presented him with an option this year. I told him he could have a big birthday party with all his friends, or a family party and get a Wii. He chose the latter. But just in the last few days he's been making birthday requests that seem an awful lot like a party. First he wants breakfast in bed, then he wants to go to a movie, then he wants to go to a restaurant with waiters, and a Star Wars cake. Looks like I'm not getting out of the whole party part. But if anyone deserves the world, it's Dallas, I'll let you know what I come up with. Here's some pictures from his last two birthdays.
1. Dallas is an incredibly picky eater. He'd rather go hungry than eat something he doesn't like. In this picture he fell asleep at the table because Travis told him he had to finish his sandwich before he could leave.
2. Dallas is a great older brother. Hallie and Dallas are so blessed to have each other for best friends. Having them so close together was the best thing I "happened" to do.
3. Dallas loves his friends and playing sports. I love to watch him in anything that he does, but it makes me so happy to see what a good sportsman he is. He's very intent on what he's doing when he's playing, and is his team's best cheerleader when he's on the sidelines.
4. Dallas is a planner. Ever since he could talk Dallas has been asking me for a daily agenda. He always wants to know what we're doing, and is very keen on details. His Kindergarten teacher said he did the same to her, and often reminded her if she forgot something she said she was going to do.
5. Dallas has such a sweet spirit. Once when he was two years old Travis and I were arguing about something. Dallas stood right in between the two of us and started singing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam." Dallas is a deep thinker, and often ponders the universe. Just today he asked me a spiritual question that I didn't know the answer to, and that is not unusual.
6. Dallas loves to spend time with his family. Somehow we got into a habit of having a Friday night movie night where we make popcorn and rent a movie. If we forget, Dallas is the first to remind us, and I think he really truly would rather be with his family than anywhere else, and that makes me happy.
When I held Dallas in my arms for the first time I kept on saying over and over, "he's so beautiful, he's so beautiful." Those words couldn't have been more telling for this little boy who is beautiful inside and out. I wish I could hold onto him forever, but know that he will grow up whether I want him to or not. So for now I'll wish him a happy birthday and hope his best years are yet to come.