Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rockin Recipe

I've been feeling like a bit of a bad mom lately. Mostly because I beat my children. No, just kidding, although a couple weeks ago during sacrament meeting I was getting after Hallie for her unstellar behavior and she yelled, "Mom! Don't beat me!" So those of you who know me know I don't beat my children, but I guess Hallie wanted to prevent me from starting to during sacrament meeting. Luckily I don't think anyone really understood what she said except for me. But that's beside the point and not why I feel like a bad mom. I'm feeling like a bad mom because I don't think I make very good meals for my kids to eat. Mostly I don't make meals at all. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, and I love to eat, but my kids don't like most of what I make so I kind of gave up on the whole idea of evening meals together. We do eat together, but I've become a bit of a short order cook, making everyone what they want, and not making a cohesive meal. Bad habit I know, like I said, I've been feeling bad about it. So tonight I was determined to make something we could all eat, and it turned out so well I think I'll share. We all really like to eat at Rubio's so I thought I'd try to create a Rubio's style chicken burrito with rice and black beans.
Here's what I came up with:

I pounded three chicken breasts thin, put Kirkland's seasoning salt on them (a great suggestion from Stephanie, this goes really well on chicken) and grilled them.



Then I made plain white rice and this black bean and corn salsa:
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can corn drained
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/4 cup red onion chopped
put all of the above ingredients into a bowl and dress (this dressing I stole from Emily's Cowboy Caviar) with the following:
1/4 C olive oil
1/4 C red wine vinegar plus three splashes balsamic (I think the balsamic is key on the flavor)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. salt
*chopped avocado and chopped cilantro would be good too (but it's just as good without, I didn't have either and it was really good)
Then build your burrito or quesadilla with Costco's uncooked tortillas (once you've cooked them) rice, chicken, black bean and corn salsa, shredded cheese and sour cream. These are yummy, and the bean and corn salsa is great just as a salsa. Let me know if you try them!

So now it's your turn, I need your help and your new recipes! Also I'm looking for lunch suggestions, I've about had it with the mac and cheese, hot dogs and top ramen (I already owned up to being a bad mom, so don't judge me!) I like easy stuff, I don't do gourmet really well, so what are your tried and true recipes that your whole family eats? Share please!

And now for the rockin part of this post. A little update on my rock star status. After two days of jammin on Guitar Hero III, I officially beat the whole game, yes me, I am your new Guitar Hero. And I am going to brag about it for a minute. I've explained in previous posts that I am not, nor have I ever been a video gamer. I've never saved the princess, and I don't know how to use the force. But I am officially a Rock Star. And dangit if I didn't feel a sense of pride and accomplishment when the screen in front of me said, "You passed Guitar Hero III!" My only regret is that I didn't take a picture to commemorate the occasion. Let me just say that I have a new found respect for Metallica, White Zombie, Scorpion, and all the other bands who came together to make me the Guitar Hero that I am today. The kids and I sadly gave the Howes back their Guitar Hero yesterday (see fun candy gram that went with it, I may be a rocker, but it doesn't mean I can't be a crafty one). I look forward to the day I will once again rock. Right now I'm saving my pennies for Wii's Rockband that comes out in a couple of weeks and crossing my fingers that it's a bit more tame for the kiddies. I'll let you know, but if you're lucky enough to pick up a guitar hero guitar, play a little "Slow Ride" and think of me.


Dallas is really a cuter rocker than me, so I'll show him instead!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the recipe, looks yummy.

I can't believe what a rock star you have turned out to be! What an accomplishment, great work!!

Courtney said...

I love the Ro-tel tomatoes.

Cute pic of Dallas. He even has the stance down.

I am thinking to make a candy gram for JEff for father's day - thanks for the idea!

Mandy said...

We eat teriyaki chicken. I just shred up chicken and put Yoshida's sauce (I buy it at Costco) on it. We do pasta with red sauce or pesto sauce (I buy the pesto at Costco). And we do chicken tacos and cafe rio pork a lot as well.

Toria said...

congrats Nancy! I've never played that game and I'm with you in thinking that I probably wouldn't like it. You're starting to make me think otherwise. The dinner idea sounds yummy- I actually have all those things (I brought some Costco tortillas with me and we're on our last package:()
since it's summer, we have pasta salad once a week, we also love stir fries with chicken and veggies and rice in the rice cooker, and we have fajitas a lot (similar to your recipe only add in bell peppers)
As for lunches, I need ideas too!
I like the Kirkland brand frozen ravioli's from Costco (can't get those here) or tortellini, left overs and then I'm pretty much with you- lots of PB and J.
I'll let you know if I think of any more tried and trues, my mind is drawing a blank.

Autumn said...

Ok, Nancy--can't wait to try your recipe (when I can actually get my hands on the ingredients since Germans don't do Mexian food). Here is our famiy favorite right now (we got it from my friend Sara)...

Creamy Parmesan Pasta

Half Box of Bow-Tie or favorite pasta
1-2 cloves garlic (I use jar garlic about 1/2 tsp.)
2 T. Fresh chopped Basil
1/3 cup cream (I really like cream so I use 2/3 c. to 1 c.)
1/3 c. parmesan cheese (finely grated--again, I like more-about 2/3 c.)
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp. salt

Let cream and cheese come to room temperature. Cook pasta, drain, add all other ingredients and stir. I never remember to let the cream and cheese come to room temp. I just get it all out while the pasta cooks. We also often add cooked veggies after draining the pasta, broccoli and asparagus are our favorites. This really easy and yummy. I'm a sauce girl, so I like lots of cream and cheese.