Monday, June 16, 2008

Hallie's Father's Day Eggs

Yesterday afternoon after a tiring Father's Day (it's hard on us mom's making the breakfast in bed and all) and a church-filled Sunday I decided to take a nap. It's not entirely unusual for me and Travis to sneek a Sunday nap in while the kids play or watch some cartoons. They know the drill, and are usually really well behaved for 45 minutes to an hour. But yesterday I hardly fell asleep before Hallie came in and asked if we could dye Easter eggs. In my sleep induced state of mind I replied that it was Father's Day, not Easter, and we don't dye eggs on Father's Day. I wasn't sure why she decided we needed to dye Easter Eggs for Father's Day, but didn't give it much thought, and went back to trying to sleep. Then maybe a half hour later she came crying back to inform me that she had dyed eggs and made a mess and needed my help cleaning it up.
You see I had an old box of Easter Egg dye in the cupboard which Hallie had found. So being the rational, kind, sweet, even-tempered mother that I am, I yelled at her, sent her to her room, and went down stairs to clean the mess. It took me about 15 minutes to get the dye up off the floor, the kitchen table, and chairs. But once I did I decided that was that, and that my crazy Hallie had just played with the box and dye. It wasn't until I opened the eggs this morning to make pancakes that I realized that Hallie had in fact dyed eggs. At least she didn't break any.



I guess Hallie didn't get enough of eggs at Easter. We may have to start a new Father's Day
tradition of dying Easter Eggs for our sweet Hallie.

7 comments:

Laura said...

That sounds like something Dallin will be doing soon. That sounds like a great tradition to start, what a cute sweetheart. Hey, I read a comment on Toria's blog that your next move would be to Utah, are you moving? Am I starting rumors here?

Courtney said...

funny girl. it looks like she did a pretty good job. how did she know how to mix the dye? did she just do it with water?

Dave, Bonnie & Taten said...

Very cute story. I laughed out loud. Don't you just love being a mom.

Austin said...

Resourceful girl, I'm impressed.

Stephanie said...

That is so funny, very smart little girl!

pam said...

The eggs are such a pretty pink, I am sure Travis was pleased with pink eggs for Father's Day.

Becky said...

Nancy, I love your recent posts! You guys are so funny over there. Maybe have a reality show about your lives? Hallie and the eggs is a "crack up!" and Whoo-hoo to making a real meal for your kids and you to enjoy. That's a hard one, I know, I'll think of some recipes for you. . .