Monday, June 9, 2008

Go Dallas, It's Your Birthday!

So we partied like it was Dallas' birthday this weekend, and "jammed" (more about that later) a whole lot of fun filled events into three short days. It all started bright and early Friday morning, somewhat reminiscent of a Friday morning I had six years ago, only this time there wasn't water gushing everywhere. Dallas wanted breakfast in bed, and at our house on your birthday we aim to please. Breakfast in bed it was. Dallas very specifically asked for orange rolls, bacon, orange juice, lemonade and water. So that's what he got. The funniest part for me was that Dallas was so tired he tried to hide under his pillow and go back to sleep when we first brought it in to him. Then I think he spied the presents and decided it was worth it to wake up. A few months back I gave the boy the option: party with your friends, or family party with a Wii, I think I mentioned what he chose, and a Wii he got. Can you even guess what wii did all Wiikend?

For his birthday cake this year Dallas wanted a Star Wars theme. So we went with a Yoda cake. No, it's not a green cat. I wasn't quite sure it turned out like I hoped, but Dallas said he didn't care how real it looked, he still liked it. This boy is easy to please, and very sweet to his cake baking Mama.







Besides the Wii and birthday excitement Hallie had her summer dance recital this weekend as well. She was so excited to be on the stage, and would you believe she got to share it with her father? Yes, Hallie was in two numbers, and one of them was the Daddy/Daughter Dance. I wouldn't have thought I'd live to see the day I would watch Travis dance on stage; but being the good Dad that he is, he put on his dancing shoes and shook his booty. Too bad I didn't have it on video, because they were front and center. It was like watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, kind of. But whether they got the right moves or not is beside the point, because they had fun
and created a great memory for all of us.



Sunday night to finish off the weekend's festivities we had some friends over for a Wii play extravaganza. We showed off our new found skills on Cooking With Mama (you didn't think I'd pass up that game now did you?) To win you have to chop and stir your arm off, and don't even think about letting the food burn or Mama turns into a Nazi, fired-eyed, knife wielding demon who belittles you for your lack of cooking skills. She has some interesting accent that sounds German at times, and possibly Japanese. But don't mess with Mama, stir, stir, chop, chop, and don't burn your food! It's all fun and games really.
But the party didn't officially start until the guests went home. You see our friends left their Guitar Hero for us to play over night. I tried to get them to take it politely saying, "I don't think we'll even play it, and your kids will miss it." Boy was I wrong. Who knew I had an inner rock star? Not me. But guess what? I'm not only a cooking mama, but a freak on the guitar. Yes, me. Dallas, Travis and I stayed up till one o'clock in the morning as I gave the guitar tour of my life. I toured in England, Japan, made rock videos with Slash and Santana, and only had carpel tunnel and a broken finger nail to stop me. Man, my wrist hurt after that. I could have kept on going, but felt it my motherly duty to put us all to bed. Hallie had already conked out on the floor. Poor thing, she really wanted to be put to bed, but I was a woman on a mission, and couldn't seem to put that guitar down to save my life. Dallas kept on saying, "Mom, you rock! Mom, did you know you could play like this? Mom, you had a hidden talent. Mom, I think you're better than Porter (his friend who is awesome on guitar hero)!" So I had to keep going, I couldn't let my son down, I needed to rock his world. But this morning as I woke up humming Barracuda I worried that I could really get carried away with my new rock star lifestyle. And I'm not sure how I feel about all the scantily clad women and racy lyrics, so don't know if we'll be owning this game until they come out with a light rock version Ala Michael Bolton. But anyone who wants to challenge me to a duel, I'll take you on, as long as we're playing on the easy level. I'm no expert yet, but give me time and we'll see.

14 comments:

Courtney said...

I love all of the pics. I always knew you were a rock star!

Angela said...

I am VERY disappointed that there is no video of the Hallie/Travis dance. They might have to perform at the family reunion. Glad Dallas had a great birthday.

Laura said...

I wish I was there to be a rockstar with you. I have been in the room when others have played this game, but have not played yet. I bet I could have played with you because I know you would bring out my inner rockstar. Happy Birthday Dallas! Can you believe you have a 6 year old? I can't believe I have one too!

Mandy said...

If you think guitar Hero is fun, you need to try out Rockband. It's the best.

Austin said...

The Wii should definitely make it's way to the family reunion. Also, there was lot's of green in those pictures. Everybody looks great!

Dawn said...

I can relate to your rockstar experience. I'll duel you any time!! When are we getting together? Schools finally out, yeah!! Let's rock and roll!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Dallas! Hallie looks so cute in her dance outfit.

I love the Rock and Roll in you! Who knew? I recently mentioned to Mike that I thought is sounded fun, we have never played. Next time we get together we will have a rock party!

Katie said...

Nancy,

Katie here...Laura's little sis. I can't believe Dallas is 6. I think the last time I saw you guys was when he was about the size he is in your other post in his blue polo outift (Do you remember we ate Durango's and you still lived in Utah?) Crazy to think how time flies! Maybe I'll see you again before he's getting married!

pam said...

Loved the green Yoda cake! and Hallie's costume looked good, glad the leotard worked well. I like Austin's idea about bringing the wii to the family reunion.

Jen said...

You're a great mom! Every kid needs a night where they get to stay up until 1 in the morning. It sounds like you had a ton of fun!

Courtney said...

I just saw a commercial that they are coming out with Rock Band for the wii. You should definitely invest!

Sarah said...

I love guitar hero too. I may have to look into rock band.

Sarah said...

I love guitar hero too. I may have to look into rock band.

Becky said...

Savanna here! Happy b-day Dallas! I think we totally should bring the wii to the family reunion!! I've never played Guitar Hero but, it sounds fun! If we do bring the wii to the reunion we should play Wii Sports.