Monday, May 19, 2008

Blue is the new Blonde

Hair trauma 911, part II: My root problem may have just gotten worse, depending on how you feel about the color blue. . .

So my sweet, well intending sister Becky decided that she could help me with my hair since Leisel (her sis-in-law/ hair dresser extraordinaire) is out of town, not to return until next week (too long for me to wait). After Houdini, I mean Beck, broke into Leisel's salon to retrieve her hair products she called me over to have my hair done. Safety and laundry-wise Becky even wore Leisel's professional apron making me feel a little less weary about having my never-been- to-beauty-school-sister do my hair.


Step one: call Leisel and somehow figure out how to weigh and measure hair dye while simultaneously adding equal parts of developer to the mixture. Who knew there was so much chemistry involved in hair! We should have known to stop here since all I learned in High School Chemistry was how to make peanut brittle. Step two: apply concoction to Nancy's dark roots, leave for 45 minutes and then wash out. Sounds easy enough, maybe I could have just had Hallie do it. Not so fast. Now before I go blaming anyone (Becky) for what happened next, I should own up to a little extra step that I added myself. Step three: While Becky was washing out the hair utensils in the sink with her back to me, I took the remaining hair dye and did a little touching up of my own. I mean, why let good blonde go to waste, why not use it all? Step four: Have lunch, meet Bagley's new orange bird Tweety, and play with sweet Sophie while waiting for blondeness to kick in. Step five: Summon my inner Nadia Comaneci and somehow do a contortionist back bend into Becky's sink to get my hair washed out (I'm gonna be sore tomorrow). Phew! It's done, it's blonde and I can go on with my life. But wait... what's this blue stuff? Step six: rewash hair with more shampoo. Blue is not washing out.


"It's not really blue Nancy, more ashen grey." Becky said unconvincingly. Well that makes me feel better! Oh well, I'm sure it will look less blue as it dries I thought. Nope, more blue. Once I got home Travis also tried to make me feel better by telling me it's not so much blue as it is grey. Well I don't want to be blue or gray, I want to be blonde!


So I ask you, is blue better than brown, and is grey better than blue? And do you know how to get rid of blue hair, Leisel, help!


*Although I fully believe my hair is blue, I reserve the right to exaggerate for story entertainment sake, if you see me before I see Leisel please tell me that you would never have noticed the blue had I not pointed it out to you, even if you secretly think I look like Smurfette! Or you could say what Becky said and tell me that blue is the new blonde! HA!
It looks more blue in person, I promise!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm tellin ya, blue highlights are totally in! You look hot!

Nancy said...

Just so you all know, that was really Becky, only when I was at her house today I was on her computer and relogged in as me, I don't usually get on my own blog and tell myself I'm hot! And yes it's still blue.

Laura said...

Totally Smurfette!!! Just kidding. It doesn't look blue at all! I guess you will just have to have Leisel make you extra blonde when she gets home. You crack me up Nanc.

Angela said...

I hate to be persnikity but even smurffette had blonde hair. So you're totally not her.

Nancy said...

uh, are you saying I don't have blonde hair, or that I'm not blue.

Austin said...

It just looks blond from here.
Smurfette was certainly blond, but blue skinned. You'd have to ingest colloidal silver to get that effect.
Why dye your hair anyway?

Mike and Joy said...

Oh my gosh, Nancy, I JUST got your message, and here it is, midnight. I have no clue what to say about your blue hair, though. My first instinct, as I was listening to your message, was to tell you to put some yellow toner on it...the yellow, of course, to cancel out the blue. But if you don't do it right then you can end up with yellow hair. I would offer to help but I haven't done that sort of thing in so long. Either way, if you need something bought at the beauty supply to fix this mess...let me know and I will happily pick something up! Sorry.

Katie said...

Oh, I bet the high school kids are giving you the thumbs-up these days! Plus I have to give kudos to Becky for doing such a great job blending the blue in with the existing color. I can't tell where the blue stops and the beautiful blond begins!

Sarah said...

You are a trusting soul, my friend. Leisel is going to love this story.

Angela said...

Uh...both? No really, it doesn't look very blue to me, but you claim it looks more blue in person, so I'll take your word for it. I think a more neon blue would be more fun, but whatever.

Courtney said...

I saw it in person and it really is not very noticeable. I did however tell Nancy to stop messing with her hair and wait for Liesel before trying any more colors.

domestic bliss said...

Thanks for popping by!- I do not think your hair looks blue btw- but I can relate to blonde issues myself!_ it never seems to turn out the same anymore!

Hope you will come and do Heather's class with us in June!- we have her new fabrics on the way- very very exciting!!!-

Thanks again- and stay tuned for more exciting things for crafty- entertaining gals!
K