Saturday, April 19, 2008

When life gives you lemons have a party!

As the only photographer for this blog I may find myself fired after yesterday's job. We had a birthday get together at Dusty's house for Mandy's daughter Laney. And I hardly have any pictures to show for it! What happened was I took a few initial shots before most of the guests arrived, and then I had so much fun I forgot to take any more pictures. But the memories are all stored in my real "memory" and believe me they are sweet. I have been blessed in my life with great friends, and I got to see many of them yesterday that I haven't seen in a while. Stephanie was in town with her daughter Ellie, Mandy was in town with both her daughters, Laney and Allie, and Dawn was even on my side of town with Zoe and Tatym in tow. Lynsi was there too with K K and Rex, and Dusty was the gracious host as always with her three beauties, Jaiden, Ava and Rachel. I went with Hallie and my niece Sophie, they both had a great time with all the little girls, poor Rex was the only boy, but I don't think he even noticed! It was fun to see everyone, and the chatting was a pleasure as always. Sorry to everyone, including cute Laney whose birthday event this was, who I didn't get any pictures of. I'll do better next time.




Stephanie, Dawn and me sisterly love Dusty and Dawn




Zoe, Jaiden, Tatym, and Hallie with Ellie in background Sweet Sophie





smiley girl baby Allie


We had the group together last year at Dusty's house for Laney's birthday so I thought I'd post that picture since it has Mandy and Lynsi in it, plus Courtney who was missed yesterday!


So even if I didn't get a shot of all the people at the party I managed a few of the desserts. Mandy's cupcakes were so cute they deserve center stage. And I took some lemon bars that, truth be told, my Mother made (she was off to Disneyland with Becky and her oldest two, that is why I had Sophie). The lemon bars were a hit and I had a few requests for the recipe. A few people, including my husband, commented that they don't normally like lemon bars, but they liked these. I think the secret is in the crust, and they aren't overly lemony. The lemon bars were inspired by my lemon tree that had some fruit that needed juicing. There are some jewels in this desert. Enjoy!



Lemon Love Notes
1 c. butter
2 c. flour
a shake of salt
1/2 c. powdered sugar
Press into 9X13. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 grated lemon rind
4 beaten eggs
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
Mix and pour over baked crust. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Frosting
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. milk
blend milk and butter together and add1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. lemon juice and 1 tsp. vanilla. Wait until the bars are cooled before frosting them. Refrigerate until cold, then slice into bars.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm sad I missed the fun!

Stephanie said...

It was so fun to see everyone. We missed Courtney and I am so glad Dawn could be there. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

p.s.
I am not so crazy about the picture of us, I look like an old lady! I need you to email me your pics. and I need to see Dawn's too!

Keith and Lynsi said...

Nanc,
Thanks for posting this recipe! I love that you used your own lemons too! We planted a lemon tree a while back, but no lemons yet...
Yeah, I think I ate three of those lemon bars at Dusty's and normally lemon bars don't even tempt me! You're right, it's in the crust, So yummy! Can't wait to make em!
It's always so fun to get together!

Sarah said...

You are so fortunate to have such great friends.

The lemon bars look awesome.

hendywow said...

Nanc,
I love your blog! Everytime I read a new post, I remember why I started mine... You are too creative.
Wen

Becky said...

Nancy, You've got such a good party planning gene! Wish I lived closer so I could hang out with you and your cool friends.

P.S. I absolutley LOVE these lemon bars. The icing is amazing and their name "Lemon Love Notes" is perfectly apprapo!