Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Wii Bit of Bowling

Last Sunday our friend's the Howes brought over their Nintendo Wii for our entertainment. I've watched my kids play this at the neighbors, but I'd never actually played myself until then. Okay so I know I'm the last one on the planet to try this, but can I just say how much I loved it? There is a lot of history and significance behind this new found love of mine.

Flashback to about the late 1980's (I'm guessing on my timeline here) when my family got the first Nintendo gaming system. There are six kids in my family, and five of my siblings would sit in front of that thing for hours taking turns playing Super Mario Brothers, it didn't matter if they were playing or watching, there they camped, glued to the old TV in the playroom. Can you guess the only one of us who hated it? Yes me, I found it so boring, probably because I wasn't very good at it (I never did save the princess), but still, I couldn't understand the appeal. The only game I ever liked was Pictionary, and that only lasted until I took it over to Kelly Hughes' house and lost it. Then there was the Hubbard's Sonic the Hedgehog game, better graphics, and still stupid in my mind (again, I sucked at it).

Meanwhile in a basement in Sandy, Utah somewhere Travis (aka Bubba) sat glued to his TV also playing video games. I remember when we first started dating each other I made it very clear that I would not sit at his apartment and watch him and his roommates play ultimate wrestling video games. (I was kind of a brat about it.) But I didn't want to be one of those girls (and there were many) who would just sit there and watch those boys, so stupid. So when we first got married Travis wanted a new XBOX, and for every gift giving holiday he's say all he wanted was an XBOX. Years passed, and still that was all he wanted, but I stood firm (maybe I'm still a brat about it), swearing off video games in my belief that my kids didn't need to play them.
Enter November 2004, Travis was suddenly very sick, and doctors were betwixt as to what deathly disease he had, but sure he had one. Some of the options they gave us were lymphoma, leukemia, or possibly Valley fever (this option would have been the best, but was ruled out the earliest). Basically for a week they had him in the hospital gearing him up for Chemo therapy of some kind until they could figure out which form of cancer he had. What was the first and only thing Travis felt a cancer patient should have? An XBOX. At this point I couldn't deny my dying(which I thought he was at the time) husband his wish. So we got an XBOX. Yes, in our family it took "cancer" (which they later decided was only a virus, but only after they'd performed unnecessary surgery on him, that's a whole other post) to get a gaming system. Long and miraculous story short (but not really short, he was quite sick for about a year, a year which we were in some ways grateful for but never wish to repeat), Travis is fine, and healthy, but finally got his wish.
So I pretty much thought that would be the end of it, we got a gaming system, we don't need another one. Who knew (besides the Matthews) you always had to have the latest and greatest. But it wasn't until last week that I became the one campaigning for a new one, and I think this time everyone is on board. We love the Wii, and look what I found, a game made just for me:Have you ever heard of this game? Have you ever played it? If so I want to hear about it, because to just to read about it makes me happy. Listen to the description:
The Wii Remote is your ultimate cooking utensil, putting you in total control of the cooking action as you chop, grate, slice, stir, roll and much more! Hold and point it in many different ways depending on the task (i.e. upright to mash potatoes, lengthwise to fry in a pan, etc.) to get the real sensation of cooking in a kitchen. Watch out, kids – you might learn something useful!
All-new Cooking Challenge Mode lets you and a friend go head-to-head in the ultimate
multiplayer cook off to determine who can cook the fastest with the fewest mistakes.
Oh ya baby, I think we need a Wii just so I can play this game. Now if only I could find one? Any suggestions on how to locate on of these elusive consoles?
So last week when we played the Howe's Wii my favorite game was bowling (didn't you know I took a bowling class with Katie in college? Had to get my parent's their money's worth at BYU!) But apparently my kids have never even been in a real bowling alley, so we decided to rock their virtual world and take them to the real thing. Travis and I had a little friendly wager set up, $40 to the highest scorer. This was my idea, only because I know how bad he is at bowling (sorry honey). Of course I won, but we also won a free game and shoe rental, so I'm thinking we go back for double or nothing. I'll have to give it a while though because embarrassingly my hip and shoulder are sore this morning (I am thirty). Nothing a week's time and a little Ben Gay won't fix. I snapped a few photos before my camera's battery died. There's no proof I was even there, but there are witnesses. The Howe's (again, no pics of them since my camera died!) came along for the family fun, I need a Wii so I can practice for my rematch!


10 comments:

Courtney said...

You're too funny! How did Hallie do witht he bowling? Jeff took Seth once but I wasn't sure the kids were old enough to enjoy the real-life bowling!

pam said...

Steve and Emily's kid set up their Wii in our family room a couple of weeks ago and we had a bowling tournament. It was a lot of fun. I think Laurie won. How about that? They do seem to play theirs a lot.

Angela said...

Dad did win, or was it Elliot? How's that for the man who coined the term "devil machine"? He looked hilarious every time he went, and he was the one that came close to throwing the remote into the TV screen every time. You should play with him some time.

Mandy said...

We like our Wii. Haven't tried the cooking game but Big Brain Academy is my favorite!

Stephanie said...

We love our Wii too! Like you, I was never a big "gamer" but I do enjoy an occassional game on the Wii! Hope your shoulder feels better soon!!

hendywow said...

That is too funny Nancy. I didn't know about the "video game history". The Wii seems to be the most kid and exercise friendly, we actually got sore after playing bowling and tennis for the first time. Sounds like a good excuse to get one, right?-Loren

Laura said...

You are hilarious! I have never played Wii, sad huh? It sounds fun but I haven't had the chance yet. My kids love real bowling though, so maybe I should get Wii bowling so I wouldn't have to chase Dallin around the bowling alley. Thanks for your witty play by play of the gaming of your life.

Sarah said...

Never heard of Big Brain Academy or the Cook Off game. I've got to look into that.

Austin said...

I always knew video games were fun, you could've just asked ;). Glad the kids got to try the real thing, also very fun.

Austin said...

Oh, P.S., check Craigslist for a Wii. They always seem to have some on there.