Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines' Day

Recently Travis and I had a discussion about romantic gifts. He thinks I don't like flowers because I told him I think they are a waste of money. Well I do, if you spend a lot of money on them, but that doesn't mean that I don't like flowers. So I told him I would love it if he occasionally showed up with flowers "just because," but to buy the grocery store variety, and not spend more than $10. So yesterday he came home from work with flowers, it was such a sweet jesture, and I love them, but we were laughing at their cheapness. The package said they are called crazy daisies, and they are crazy: dyed pink complete with glittery petals. I had to laugh. The water they are in has subsequetnly turned pink from the dyed flowers. Only Trav would find such beauties! I think his goal was to find the cheapest flowers he could because I said I liked them just as much as pricey ones. But I really love them even more than the expensive variety that die just as quickly, leaving me feeling like he wasted $70. I suppose these count as "just because," and a Valentine. We'll see if he continues with the "just because" beyond Valentine's Day.











I just finished up an order for three bags that I think turned out quite well. I was excited to use some of my new Amy Butler fabric, and on one of them I used oilcloth instead of the vinyl, and I think it's a really cute bag. I had thought I was going to open an Etsy shop, but I've been too daunted by the task of making 10 or so bags at one time. So no shop so far. We'll see. But if anyone is interested in the Amy Butler fabric I have one more bag just like it. Let me know.





Amy Butler fabric







waverly






oilcloth




I also used some of the same fabric from one of the purses to recover the chairs at my kitchen table. I really like the way they turned out. I put clear plastic over the fabric to make for easy cleaning. For me and my messy children this is the best option. I hesitated doing this for a long time because I thought it would look tacky, but I don't think it looks bad at all, and I'd rather have plastic than dirty fabric anyday.








*unrelated to anything in this post* I can't make the spell check work on my blogger, does anyone know what went wrong? Did I turn off something by accident? Anyway if my spelling is off that's why, help!




21 comments:

Katharine said...

Nancy,

I love the purses. You are soooo talented! I wish I posessed talents like yours. At least its good to know my friends have what I don't. I LOVE the chair covers too. Was that hard to do. We need to do that to our chairs.

Nancy said...

Kath, the chairs are really simple, the main thing you need is a staple gun.

Mandy said...

Very cute Nancy. Can't wait to see you.

jules said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy said...

Julie! Hi! Why don't you have a blog? I went to your site, but no postings, you'd better get started. I saw Katharine recently and she updated me on your marriage and said you lived on a ranch in Tennesse? Is that right? Anyway I'd love to hear more from you, I can only imagine what you're up to, you're so amazing! If you're really interested in a bag let me know. I'll squeeze you in! I really don't make that many bags, mostly for friends. I don't want to make it a business right now, it's too much work and too stressful.

Becky said...

Sweet Fancy Nancy, I love your bags! I love your chairs! The before and after picture says it all. And Trav and the Crazy Daisies are making me laugh! Even the flowers at Frys are way over priced on Valentines Day. Tell him Trader Joe's is a great, great place for "any time" flowers. They're inexpensive and they always have a fun variety!

Courtney said...

I love the new Amy Butler purse. The crazy daises made me laugh!

kimber said...

I totally told Dave not to buy me flowers too. I think the exact same as you. So he came home with some fun bath stuff instead, so much better than flowers that die in a couple days.

Dave, Bonnie & Taten said...

Hey Nancy, It took me only two months to get around to looking at your blog. But I was thinking about you today and how my slacker husband never calls Travis back. Sorry. Did you study journalism at BYU, you really are a great writer. I see by the number of comments on your blog that you have some wonderful support and lots of people who love you. I feel the same way about flowers. But it sure is nice when our husbands just let us know they are thinking of us. I love the purses you made. I would love to have one. Do you sell them? I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I shed some tears for you and wish I could give you a hug. Sorry we don't keep in better touch. But now that I have seen your blog...I will be back.

hendywow said...

O you are so talented! I wish that I could half of the crafty things you do lady! We need you guys to come over and play wii.

Wen

pam said...

Glad you were able to finish the bags. They look great. I already told you how great the chairs look. The before and after pictures tell it all. I quite agree with you about the flowers. Laurie had some beautiful ones waiting here for me when I got home. They are really nice, but the yellow roses are already going. The irises still look good as well as the greenery. But they brighten up our table and are nice to look at compared to all the snow outside.

just me said...

very cute, nancy! you are so talented. btw - you've been tagged on my blog ... enjoy!

Emily Wettstein said...

Nancy,
I was so excited to hear from you! You and Travis have such a beautiful family. How fun! I love your blog and I am glad that we are now connected. I have wondered how you and Liz are doing so it is great to finally know....

So I totally love your bags! They are so dang cute. How can I buy one? Let me know if I can put in an order. I was just thinking yesterday how much I would love a diaper bag with some style. It looks like you are my answer. Please keep in touch! We found our new house in Daybreak which is in South Jordan just west of Bangater (not far from where Travis lived). We probably won't be in until April but if you guys come up to UT I would love to get together. PLEASE keep in touch! Love ya,
Emily

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I love the bags!!!! I'll see you Wednesday night to pick them up. AG

Lindsey said...

I have a tablecloth made out of that same oilcloth fabric. Where did you find it?

Emily Wettstein said...

Nancy,

I love the last bag you have pictured above, with the green ribbon handles! Do you think you could do another one for me? You can just wait until you move up here if you want, just let me know. I totally love it. Will be in touch....
Em

Stephanie said...

Love the chairs...maybe I should purchase your extra bag!!! And, I noticed Lindsey's cute table cloth out of that same fabric and I was going to ask her where she got it. So, where did you get the fabric so I can convince somebody to sew me that tablecloth??

Sarah said...

I love your new chairs! And I love the bags. OK, the green floral fabric inside the last picutured bag is so great. Who makes that one?

Also, I can't make spell check work on my blog either. I posted the same question/frustration a few posts ago, but no one seemed to care or have any solution for me. I feel your pain because while I think I am a good speller, I type faster than I should with too many errors.

Nancy said...

Stephanie and Lindsey, I bought that fabric a while ago, like maybe even a year ago at a local quilt shop when they had it on clearance. I have more, but I don't know about enough for a table cloth. I bet you could find it online. It doesn't say anywhere on it the designer, but I bet even if you just googled oilcloth you might come across it. I've also seen it in red and blue with the same design. Steph if you really are interested in the other bag let me know, I promise not to be a slacker this time!

Nancy said...

Sarah, I don't know the designer on that fabric, I bought it in Utah at a Hancock. I think the only Hancock here is in Mesa. But I might have seen it at jcaroline. Also I've heard of other people who can't make their blogger spell check work, so maybe it's a system wide problem, I hope they fix it soon!

Austin said...

Crazy Daisies, wow. So you recommend those? I'll try to figure out why the spellcheck doesn't work.