Monday, January 21, 2008

Super Bowl of Appetizers




A Super Bowl post is probably the last thing most of you would expect me to write about. I didn't exactly get put on the Sports beat in college (I was however on the R.O.T.C. beat, go figure). Anyway I must say I'm a bit excited for the Super Bowl this year as it's right here in Phoenix (technically Glendale). So now that we know who is playing in the big game, I'd say it's time to start planning the appetizers. You don't think that I actually watch the game do you? It will be on of course, I know it's Sunday, talk to my husband about that one. But I only watch for the commercials. Me and Travis think it would be pretty funny if Pizza Hut once again does a commercial with Jessica Simpson, only this time she should be ordering pizza during the game with her boyfriend Tony Romo (for my non Sportsy family, he's the Dallas Cowboys quarterback who some say was distracted from his playing due to his new love Jess, and thus didn't make it to the Super Bowl).




No when it comes to Super Bowl parties I'm all about the food, and I have a few new recipes (from my neighbor Laurie, the queen of appetizers) that I'm planning on trying and thought I'd share. Now these aren't exactly gourmet, but that's why I think they'll be great for the game. Think man dip.




Buffalo Chicken Dip




ingredients:


1 rotisserie chicken pulled off bone and shredded (or two cans of canned chicken, think Costco size)


2 8 oz. packages cream cheese softened


1 cup blue cheese dressing


3/4 cup pepper sauce (your favorite wing sauce, I liked Franks Red Hot brand)


1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


tortilla chips and or 1 bunch celery




Mix shredded chicken with hot sauce, then mix all other ingredients until well incorporated. Place in 8 X 8 or 9 inch round for 30 min. at 350 degrees.


*Nancy's note* I watched my neighbor make this (she used the canned chicken) and I must say I was a bit skeptical, canned chicken and all. Plus I'm not a big wing person, but mostly because I don't like the bones and veins and gross stuff. That's why this recipe was so good, all the flavor of hot wings, and no gross bones, etc. Really it's quite yummy, but not exactly low fat, how can you go wrong with 2 packages of cream cheese?




Artichoke Dip




1 cup mayonnaise


1 cup Parmesan cheese


1 8 oz. cream cheese


1 jar 14.5 oz. artichoke hearts


1 tsp. garlic


bread bowl




Mix all ingredients and place in bread bowl. Bake 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Use Bread from inside of bowl for dipping.


*Nancy's note* I've tried a lot of different artichoke dips, and I liked this one the best.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm very intrgued by these recipes. ARe you actually having a Super Bowl party? We don't get out of church until four so I think our party will be just seven people.

Nancy said...

We're not planning on having an actual "party," but Travis still likes all the party fare!

Stephanie said...

I love that you are getting into sports and the Super Bowl, even if it is for appetizers and parties! Sounds like fun, thanks for the recipes! See you soon!

AL&G said...

This is completely unrelated to football, although Adam was totally impressed by your interest. I just wanted to tell you that I spent a wonderful afternoon with friends watching Jessica Simpson's movie "Blonde Ambition." It made me think of your blog...which is SO much better than the movie. Miss you.

Nancy said...

I guess Jessica's movie, and maybe even her last tour was called Blonde Ambitions, just for the record I had not ever heard of that when I came up with my bog address, I thought I was the clever one who came up with it! Plus I kind of think it's a lame address, picked on a whim right after I had gotten my hair done and felt a little Marilyn Monroe about how blonde I was.

Keith and Lynsi said...

wow, sounds so yummy! I didn't even know the superbowl was this Sunday, but after your recipe shares I feel like having a party too!

Nancy said...

Lynsi, just so you don't get your party going too quickly, it's not until next Sunday, the 3rd!

hendywow said...

That Tom Brady is too hot!