Saturday, December 15, 2007

Looking back and looking forward

I started my blog last year in January, I can't believe how much fun it's been to do. There must be something to having other people witness and comment on your life. All my life I've been told the importance of journal writing, but have never been diligent in doing so. But suddenly when I know that someone else is going to see and appreciate my life, I'm quite interested in record keeping. As soon as I hit my year mark I'm going to publish my blog in a book. This way I'll have a journal, record and scrapbook of 2007, finally I'm doing what I'm told. I think I'll use this company, I'll let you know how it goes, I'm thinking it will be a bit pricey, but worth it. If anyone has already done this I'd love to hear about it.

I can't wait for Christmas. Really it's my favorite holiday, always has been. For me it carries a magic to it. I'm trying to really have fun with these years where my children believe in Santa Claus, and the magic of Christmas. Looking back on our pictures from last year I can't believe how much my children have grown. They aren't babies anymore. But they are at such a great stage where we really have fun together. Hopefully they are good so they get a visit from Santa this year, sometimes I think he just may leave them a lump of coal. Has that ever really happened? Not at my house. I think I take after my Dad and tend to overdo the gift giving just a little bit. Two years ago I actually took back some presents that Hallie never even opened and didn't act all that interested in. So this year I'm really trying to scale down, and just have Santa get my kids a few gifts that they really want. I'll let you know how that goes.
*edited to add recipe for egg strata as seen in picture
Sausage Egg Strata (my friend Cindy Franklin's recipe)
1 lb. sausage (I use Jimmy Dean sage flavor)
1 pkg. seasoned croutons
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1 c. shredded pepper jack cheese
8 eggs, beaten
1 pint half and half cream
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. dry hot mustard
1 T. minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
(I also add a can of diced green chilies)
Directions: 1. Place sausage in a large skillet, cook over medium high heat until evenly browned, drain, crumble and set aside.
2. Spread croutons across bottom of a lightly greased 9 X 13 inch baking pan. Cover croutons with cheese and sprinkle cooked sausage on top of the cheese.
3. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, cream, milk, mustard, onion, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into pan over croutons, cheese and sausage. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. The next morning, bake in an oven preheated to 350 for 45 to 60 minutes. Let sit 20 minutes before serving.
*That's the official recipe, for my small family I half the ingredients and cook in an 8X8 pan. Also I add a can of diced green chilies, I think these are yummy in it, but if that sounds weird you can leave it out, I've had it both ways and prefer the chilies. And if I don't have all the right kind of cheese I just use what I have on hand, it still tastes great. This is not, I repeat not, low-fat by any means, but is a great breakfast for Christmas morning because you do all the work the night before and let it cook while you're opening presents.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

They really do look so much older now! We'll miss you this Christmas. It just won't be the same without you but I guess it's only fair that you spend it with your real family.

Mandy said...

I plan on using Blurb at the end of the year as well. And, does your breakfast casserole in that picture happen to have potatoes in it?

Becky said...

Loved this post! The pics of Dallas opening superman are priceless. I suffer from the "over do it" Christmas syndrom like Dad,too! I just feel like it should be so stinkin overwhelming that they can't believe it! But of course, I'm scaling back bit by bit, too. One of my favorite things has been on Çhristmas eve after the festivities are all over and its time to tuck the kids in bed we say family prayer far away from the tree and then go on our "search" for Jesus with a "lanter" (coleman!) Then we find the nativity moved over in front of the fireplace and sing carols in the glow of the fire and the tree lights. It really is magical!

Muchas Gracias for having such a fun blog for us all to read and reminisce!

Nancy said...

not potatoes Mandy, you put croutons in the bottom and then eggs, cheese, sausage, diced green chiles, cream, etc. and let it soak over night in the fridge, then cook for an hour in the morning, let me know if you want the recipe, it's fabulous!

MarySue said...

Okay, I too would like that recipe and info on printing off our blog posts. Annette and I were talking about that subject recently and we are clueless.

MarySue said...

THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you.

Nancy said...

You're so very welcome Marysue! Also I really don't know much about publishing the blog, look at www.blurb.com, that's the site I plan to use, but I'll let you know how it goes sometime in February!

Pigtails & Polkadots said...

Cute pictures - and thanks for the recipe! I really needed something for this Sunday, so I'm definitely going to use it :)