Tuesday, November 13, 2007

We Bought the Bucket



*********** WARNING: THIS STORY IS TOO LONG, HAS TOO MANY DETAILS, AND IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF STOMACH. BUT I THINK IT MAKES FOR A GOOD STORY, SO READ ON. ***********

My sister Becky, my Mom, and I decided we wanted to take the kids to do something fun for Veteran's Day since they were out of school. Becky's mother-in-law, Elaine, graciously allowed us to come to her cabin in the mountains of Pine on Sunday evening to stay the night and enjoy the cooler weather on Monday. We had a peaceful drive up, made a scrumptious dinner, and put the kids upstairs with a movie while we (Becky, Elaine, me, and my mom) watched a movie downstairs.

Hallie came down shortly after the movies had started to inform me that she felt sick and needed to throw up. So we raced to the bathroom and happily made it in time for her to vomit into the toilet. I could give more details here, but let's just say it's a good thing we made it into the toilet or we would have had a real mess on our hands.

Great. Just what every mother loves. A sick kid at someone else's house full of other healthy kids. What was I to do? We were two hours from home, and I didn't want to drive home in the dark. So we stayed, and Hallie stayed close to me and away from her cousins. It was an quite an eventful night's sleep for the two of us. I'd say I haven't had a night's sleep like that since I had a newborn, and I don't mean that in a good way. Hallie had pretty much gotten everything out of her system, but kept on waking up all the same. But by the next morning she was feeling and acting totally normal. I would have still kept her with me all day, but Becky and Elaine insisted it was good for kids to build their immune systems by being around sick kids. I'm not sure I agree, but I let her go and told her not to touch anyone.

We had a good rest of the afternoon and even went into town (me my mom and Becky) to frequent the local Antique shops. So when it was time to drive home we decided to stop at Wendy's for dinner. Just as we were pulling in to the restaurant (if you can call it that, and after going to the Payson Wendy's I wouldn't, I could do a whole other blog post on the townies of Pine and Payson, but I'll spare you for now) Hallie started crying and saying she was going to throw up again. I wasn't so lucky this time and she threw up all over herself and her car seat. So we cleaned her up, ate as quickly as we could (mmm... Wendy's just what you want after your kid throws up all over you, hopefully the thought of this keeps me from fast-food for a while) and headed home for a bath and off to bed for Hallie.

Today Hallie has been acting fine. I kept her home from school and she has been playing with her dolls and watching cartoons, and there was no more evidence of a sick kid. So my mom and I decided it was safe enough to make a quick trip to Wal-Mart. We'd been cleaning the carpets and house all day and needed some more cleaner. As we were standing in the cleaning aisle discussing the uses for my favorite cleaner, Bar Keeper's Friend, Hallie again informed me she needed to throw-up.

As luck would have it I found myself standing right in front of a plethora of buckets for sale. So I grabbed a bucket, held it in front of her and she threw up right into the bucket. Hallelujah! Had we not been standing exactly in front of those buckets at that precise moment in time, Hallie would have spewed all over me, herself, the floor, and the old lady staring at us as she vomited. But today was our lucky day, and we made no mess with the throw-up. I went to tell someone at the store to get it cleaned up, and the kind man pointed me in the direction of the nearest bathroom. I guess when your kid throws up at Wal-Mart it's up to you to clean it up. I was expecting a little walkie talkie action with a "clean-up in aisle 13", but instead I took the bucket with my child's vomit, dumped it into the toilet, rinsed it out, and bought the bucket. I figure it's the best $1.13 I've ever spent, and couldn't bare the thought of putting it back and having someone else buy the bucket.

Oh the things you're thankful for as a mother! Today I am thankful for my two kids, healthy or not, and for the bucket we were standing in front of at Wal-Mart. I should be smart like my sister Becky, who always carries an extra grocery bag in the bottom of her purse. You just never know when you might need it!

7 comments:

Courtney said...

We can all be grateful for tender mercies like readily available buckets. I guess I won't call you to get together tomorrow.

Becky said...

I did tell you that the kids were already exposed and that Hallie might as well keep playing. . .and Sophie started puking 5 hours after you posted this!!! Ugh! Hope Dallas doesn't come down with it next!

Hysterical story. . .I'll never think of the term "barf bucket" quite the same.

Emily said...

A seriously fortuitous bucket.

Angela said...

I'm glad you bought the bucket. And I hope Hallie (and Sophie too, now) get's feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

hey nancy! what a bummer - puking kids are the WORST. i'm horrid and pay my kids $1 each time they make the bucket. it's so worth the $$ not to clean up the mess. gag! i hope she feels better. anything i can do?

~ jannet

Laura said...

That is seriously the funniest story ever. I am glad you bought the bucket too. I would hate to be the one who bought the bucket that someone else's kid puked in. I hope she feels better.

Austin said...

You now have a designated puke bucket. How convenient.