Monday, November 5, 2007

Our Turn

Tonight it's our turn to get our family pictures done with Jamie Hammond. I'm so excited. I really should have scheduled the pictures before Halloween since my diet went out the window the same time the Twix and Reses peanut butter cups came in. Oh well. Not much I can do about that now. Hopefully she can air brush me into Cindy Crawford a la Pepsi commercial. Probably not, but all the same I'm going to have her do a bunch with just the kids in case I don't like the way I turn out in them. Did I mention the high today is 94 degrees? I think someone forgot to tell Arizona it's November! Oh, and we're all wearing sweaters for our "winter" family picture. Maybe we should have embraced this Arizona heat and done a swimsuit theme, but I don't think Jamie has enough airbrush features on photoshop for that picture. Wish us luck.

I mentioned some quilts I've been working on, and I finished one yesterday. I think it turned out pretty well. I told Travis it was folk art, he was like folk what? Anyway I don't claim to be an artist, nor do I claim to be a quilter, more like a crafter. Our Stake is putting on a Book of Mormon Musical this weekend, and they wanted people to do art with a Book of Mormon theme to display. So this is my "folk art" quilt. It's my interpretation of the tree in Lehi's vision. Don't look too close. The scripture written around it is 1 Nephi 8:12 "And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."




I have Hallie's preschool class at my house this week (me and 6 other mom's take turns teaching) so I think I'll be working more with three and four-year-olds than on more quilts any time soon. Right now Hallie is washing her feet in the bathroom sink, she claims they are dirty, I think she just likes to mess up my clean bathroom. Time to go be mom.

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see the Jamie pictures! And awesome job on the quilt. You are the queen of crafty in my book!

Angela said...

Love the quilt, Nanc. Did you make up the pattern?

Emily said...

That is beautiful, Nancy!

Courtney said...

I am very impressed with the folk art. Can't wait to see the Jamie pics

Sarah said...

Nice design Nancy!

veryheatherly said...

you're kill'n me Nancy!!! The quilt is crazy crafty....faaaaabulous! You better post some of those family pics!

Toria said...

That's folk with flare- I love the fabric you got for the tree trunk/branches! You're inspiring me- do you wanna draw my name for Christmas?

Becky said...

That's some "Fancy Nancy" style Folk Art. What fabric is the fruit made of ? Shiney? Love the design! Hang that one on the wall :)

Stephanie said...

Nanc, you know that you kick my butt in the folk art area, or any art area! You are awesome, It looks soo folk artsy!

Emily said...

Your pictures are up. Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, it is just so beautiful. I am awed - once again. You inspire me. How did you do the lettering?

Anonymous said...

That anonymous quote was Tami Gordon, by the way.

Nancy said...

Hi Tam, I just bought a fabric marker and wrote it by hand on some muslin. I think it's called muslin. Anyway you could write on any type of fabric with a fabric marker.

JonesFamily said...

love the pics and you are so talented the quilt is beautiful!!

Liz said...

Once again I am so impressed. I love what you came up with. It looks like you are a natural quilter just like you are in every thing else in the craft dept. And...love your family photos. They turned out great. She is the best! It if fun that we can all live in different states and have the same photographer. From Boston, to AZ, Utah and California she is amazing!!