Friday, October 26, 2007

Pumpkin Patch





So I guess I've been on a bit of a blog hiatus. Courtney called to gently remind me that my blog is getting boring, so I guess I'll update to make her feel better. It's nice to know that someone cares whether or not I post. I told her I just haven't had much exciting things going on lately, but I'll fill you in on all the unexcitement.

Travis was out of town on business most of this week, but thankfully he made it back in one piece. I always breathe a sigh of relief when he calls to tell me he's landed safely, I have a small fear of flying, plane crashes etc. While he was gone I accompanied Hallie's preschool class on a field trip to the "pumpkin patch." I thought there would be real pumpkins growing there, but they just kind of set them out in the grass. Someday we'll have to make a fall trip to New England and see what a real pumpkin patch, and fall leaves actually look like. Either way she had fun, but was mad at me part of the time, you can probably tell in a few of the pictures.

I've been quilting a lot lately. Sometimes I think I'd get along well with old ladies since I tend to have some old lady hobbies, but I do think that crafting and sewing are quickly becoming hip. So for those of you not yet on the bandwagon, time to join up. I'm almost finished with a few projects and will post them when they are done, sorry to keep you in such suspense!

And to those of you in Arizona, I need your help. My cute sister Katie is coming for Thanksgiving, I can't wait! Anyway she's going to try to get her baby stuff into some boutiques here, so if you know of any let me know, we're trying to compile a list. Also she mentioned to me that anyone who can help her get her slings into a boutique in their town could be paid in product. Meaning she'll give you a free sling if you help her get her stuff into boutiques. Leave a comment if you're interested. Check out her site, they are so cute, and make great baby gifts!

*Now for a story I've been meaning to record for posterity sake, if you're bored with me feel free to pass over.*

A few weeks ago Hallie and I weren't getting along very well(unfortunately we are both very strong willed and stubborn, and we have a run-in every now and then, plus I think she's a pretty typical newly 4-year-old.) So Hallie was mad at me, and told me I was a mean mom, and that she didn't want to be in our family anymore. So I started playing along with her.

Okay, if you don't want to be in our family whose do you want to be in? She chose the neighbors, so I opened the front door and told her she could go to her new family. I was kind of hoping this reality would scare her into realizing that she loved her family, and never wanted to leave. But no, she happily ran out the door and in the direction of her new family. I let her run for a bit, thinking again that she'd change her mind and come back, but she kept going.

So I followed her and told her she had to come back. She started bawling and saying that she didn't want to be in our family. Dallas at this point was also about in tears because he was worried that Hallie wasn't going to be in our family anymore. He was trying to plead with her to stay, and even told Hallie that he loved her and wanted her to stay (it's really unusual for Dallas to tell her this). I was glad to see that at least one of my children loved our family and wanted it to stay in tact. So we were trying to rationalize with Hallie by saying things like, who is going to sleep in your room if you leave? She told me that I could just get a new daughter to live in her room, and nonchalantly suggested one of her friends that we could adopt. Well I told her that Hailey's family (her friend she wanted to be our new daughter) would miss her and that she probably didn't want to join our family. Then I started in on her belongings that we would have to get rid of once she moved out. She didn't seem to care about her clothes, but when I told her that we were going to have to give away her toys, she got upset. She wanted to take them with her to her new family, but I said no, the toys had to stay.

By this point Dallas was so upset with me and my little game, he kept on begging me to tell Hallie that we weren't really going to give her up, and that this was all a game (literally on the brink of tears many times), but I kept on going because I was really interested in how far Hallie would go, and how long it would take her to realize that she loved us. I kept it up for about a half hour while I was making dinner and was trying to rationalize with her why she needed to stay in our family. At one point she wanted one of the pepperonis I was putting on the pizza and I told her she couldn't eat, that dinner was only for our family. I think that finally got to her. She really wanted to eat dinner, and so she chose to stay in our family. But sadly, she still tells me often that I'm a mean mommy, and that she isn't my friend anymore. But probably more often she says, "Momma, I love you." So I try to hold on to that love and keep plenty of pepperoni on hand.

10 comments:

pam said...

I logged onto your blog a few minutes ago and there was no new post. See, Courtney isn't the only one who checks from time to time and is disappointed when there is nothing new. Then I read a couple others and went back to yours and voila! there was your latest blog. I enjoyed it. The pumpkin patch looked fun even it it was fake and I am sure Hallie's grandfather Johanson loved the shot of her on the tractor. By the way, what is it that you keep doing to upset your daughter?

Jennifer said...

Okay, those mad pictures of Hallie are hilarious, and I really enjoyed reading your story too. Thank goodness for pepperoni!!

Sarah Jane said...

oh what a story! I can see my addie having that conversation in about a year. She is also very strong willed...and sometimes playing devils advocate is just what everybody needs! If anything, it makes for a great post...you'll always remember this one!

Angela said...

I'm glad Court got you to post. I need you to keep me entertained while I'm at work! And pepperoni would probably get me to stick around too. I love that stuff. You must be a very good mom, because what kind of mean mommy would use pepperoni?

Angela said...

p.s. You don't need to go all the way to New England to see real pumpkin patches and fall leaves...just come to visit your beloved family in Utah!

Emily said...

She looks very pretty in the second picture.

Do you have This Little Piggy Wears Cotton? And there is a good boutique in the Gainey Village Shopping Center on Scottsdale Rd just south of Shea. Can't remember what it's called.

Becky said...

Hoorah! You're back! We've missed your blogging.

Adorable pics. October = Fun :)

Stephanie said...

I love the Hallie story! I know my time is coming shortly with Ellie. I have some ideas for boutiques...I will email them.

Sarah said...

I love that story. I think every parent has had at least a few conversations like that!

Liz said...

I love the comment by your mother...what are you doing to upset your daughter so much? Your Mom is so funny. I can just see me having this coversation with Christian in a year or sooner. He gets upset with me all the time. I think it will tear me apart though if this child tells me he wants a new mommy. But, I guess I just have to know it happens in every family. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story! It made me laugh.