Monday, October 1, 2007

It's October!




Okay so it's officially October, and I won't feel bad for wanting to decorate for Halloween anymore! Off Travis went to work, and off Hallie and I went to the store to tie up some loose decorating ends, and up went Halloween. It's not exactly where I'd like it to be, but it's a good start, maybe now I have it out of my system and I can stop obsessing about it. I have a quilt top finished, now I just need to have it made into a wall hanging before Halloween actually gets here. I also made a yummy chocolate cake this weekend, for Dusty's new baby Rachel's blessing open house. I've been meaning to share this recipe for a while. It's a fabulous recipe, this cake will take you anywhere you need to go, seriously try it. It's delicious in chocolate, but try it in it's original yellow cake form. Put some whipped cream and berries on top, and you'll be the star of your next party. Or for Halloween make it chocolate with an orange frosting, just make sure you share it like I did or you'll want to eat it all yourself! Remember cake among friends is less calories.


Nancy's Moist Yellow Bundt Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box vanilla pudding
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Bake in bundt pan @350 for 45-50 minutes

To make other flavors just switch out the cake and pudding mix flavors, chocolate with chocolate pudding is awesome, a lemon cake mix with lemon pudding and about 3 Tbs. poppy seeds is also a winner!

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your Halloween quilt turned out cute! I am envious that you have such a cute place to decorate...October is my favorite month to decorate, but we will bypass this year! Wish we were there for Rachel's blessing, especially to try your chocolate cake!

Mique said...

I LOVE your Halloween decorations. Especially the quilt top- SO cute! And I wish I could put out jars of candy like that but my kids would just eat it up in 2 seconds flat (what's your trick?).

Mandy said...

So cute Nancy. I love it all.

Laura said...

Nancy, you amaze me. I have so much to learn from you in the decorating department. Will you please come to Denver and teach me everything you know? I have made that cake before with the pudding and the sour cream and it is AMAZING. Yours looks beautiful especially with the beads on top. You are the cutest person in the world.

Adrienne said...

That cake is magazine worthy! Does you work for Martha Stewart on the side??? How fun!

Angela said...

I like your halloween fabric. I would ask you where you got it, but you never answer my questions on here! P.S. You should come up with Becky next week, because I got Thursday off and we're going to Gardner Village, and they'll have the Witches up, and you should come, okay?

Nancy said...

Oh Angela, how I wish I could come! Darn Becky went and had so many kids that I can't sneak in her car anymore. And I got the cute kids fabric at Jo Ann's, it's an Alexander Henry print, the rest at 35th Ave sew and Vac, a good find for fabric here. And yes Gardner's Village is very inticing, I should send money for Becky to buy me some cute fabric at Pine Needles! But P.S. I've at least gotten to see the witches once before.

Becky said...

Nancy! I love your Halloween Decor. So cute. Why aren't you my neighbor? And really, I'll by a suburban next week if you want to come with me to Utah.

Courtney said...

I love the mantle (and you know it's my favorite cake recipe!)

Keith and Lynsi said...

Nancy you are so cute! Mrs. Festive! LOVE IT!
I'm so glad you posted the recipe for that scrumptious cake because I was going to call u for it! My girls LOVED it too, I had to stop them at two pieces at Dusty's the other night, they would have happily eaten the whole thing, me too!
It was so fun to see you this weekend and chat, we'll have to get together soon!

Sarah said...

After reading this post, I took inventory of my own Halloween decor. Ummm,... I think I need to go buy some pumpkins and candy. I am impressed with your mantle and quilt. Way to be festive!

Jacque said...

Nancy, your Halloween decor is so inspiring! Once October rolls around, I live in constant shame, as my decor consists of a wooden pumpkin door hanging and a plastic candy bowl for trick-or-treaters! My mom would be so disappointed! ;) Thanks for encouraging me to enjoy this holiday more!

Lindsey said...

I love the decorations? Do you want to come do my house? I'm having a hard time getting motivated.

pam said...

I have that same cake in the oven right now for our missionary reunion tomorrow. Of course I just made the frosting with the special dark cocoa and licked the bowl. Can't wait 'til it's done. Loved your quilt and the Halloween decorations, especially the black bird. It is supposed to get cold this weekend, but hopefully it will be nice when Becky and crew come. Wish you were coming with them.

Emily said...

I'm going to think long and hard tonight about where I want that cake to take me.

Shauna Brown said...

I love that quilt and the adorable decorations on your mantle! I need some major help right now and some motivation- what is my problem, and that cake, my mouth is watering as I type!