Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I hate goodbyes






She's really going this time. Stephanie has been threatening to leave me now for the last couple of years, but this week I think it's really happening. One of my best friends and a person that I hardly have a memory without (she's always been there), Stephanie, is moving to California. I am so sad to see her go. I've been trying to play it off like I'm so happy for her, and I know I'll see her often (she's not going very far) but inside I am really sad, and get choked up every time I stop and think that she's actually moving.

I met Stephanie in 2nd grade, that sounds like a long time ago, but even by that time I had quite the established group of friends, but she fit in perfectly, it was like she'd always been there. We went through all of school together, got married and have had children together, and she has been there for me through all of the stages of my life. The first time I had to take Dallas to the ER, I called Steph (unfortunately she's well versed in these things). She met me there and stayed with me for hours. When Travis was sick and in the hospital 3 years ago she was right there with me, and calling me often to check in on me. When I needed someone to cry to, she was there crying with me. But beyond being there for me through tough times, Stephanie is my absolute favorite person in the world to laugh with. She has an infectious laugh, and I love that she is so quick to look at the humor in life. We have had so many fun memories together. We recently took a quick trip to Wisconsin together, and had such a good time. I don't think I'll ever eat another cheeseburger without thinking of that trip.

The best thing about Stephanie is that whether she lives in Arizona or California I know she'll be in my life. She's the type of friend that I am always comfortable with. Every time we get together, it's like no time has passed. It's great to have friends who know you so well and love you through it all. Stephanie, I am truly going to miss you. I love you like a sister. Liz is lucky she's getting her turn with you, but I won't give up the hope that we'll someday live near each other again. Hopefully this just means there will be more girls' weekends in our future!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't believe the picture you posted of the ice cream in Wisconsin! I haven't laughed that hard in years!! Apparently we need to update some of our photos...can't wait for our next girls trip! Chicago? New York? I will miss you! Come visit!

Liz said...

What a sad post!! I almost cried for you, but maybe those are for thinking of all the happy memories we all have together. I love that no matter the distance between us we still are as close as ever when we get together. And.. yes it is my turn!! I wish you all would move over and live by me. I am so excited. I don't think I really thought it was going to happen, but I think it is for real. The house is packed and so I know there is no turning back now!!! I can't wait. You better plan a trip soon to see us both. And...we need to start working on THE TRIP! Dawn is almost 30 and you and Steph are not far behind. Love you and miss you tons!!

Lindsey said...

Hey, friend.
So I commented on Britney's blog. It was not a fun experience; despite your words of encouragement, I felt like I was being completely intrusive- not in a good way. Oh well, I forgot to write down their blog information for you. Next time. Sorry to here about Stephanie; I feel as if I know her, well because I do know her through a few conversations and such, but mostly because you always talk so fondly of her. I hope she loves Cali.
Miss you,
Linds

mcminn said...

Nancy- I am so sad for you, but I talked to Liz and she is so excited to have Stephanie moving near her. I love your blog. Can you help me be more creative. I love your digital scrapbooking too. I am going to try your bananas tomorrow as I have 4 ripe bananas that would be perfect! Thanks for the recipe. Talk to you later.

Amanda

Mandy said...

Nancy-

Don't you remember anything I taught you? You don't ever say good-bye just see you tomorrow even if you know you won't. It just makes it easier to accept. There will be a tomorrow when you will see her.

Nancy said...

Mandy, we didn't say goodbye in person, we only said see you later, and actually I do thin of you every time I do that because you know we never say goodbye!

Shauna Brown said...

So sad, but more of a reason to visit CA and Sprinkles!!