Monday, September 10, 2007

Go Nancy Go!

5:45 a.m. alarm sounds
"Oh crap, are you serious? It's still dark outside. Give me ten more minutes."
Travis, without saying a word rolls over, and pushes the snooze.
Ten minutes later he's up, so I'm getting up. I've already charged my iPod and set out my tennis shoes. Time to revisit my old friend, Mr. Treadmill. But first I think I'll be productive and throw some sheets and towels in the laundry, I have plenty of time.
So productive I was, in the towels went, and then I couldn't avoid it any longer. Time to exercise!

I won't lie to you. I hate exercising. I always have. Okay so it shows, trust me I know. I've known since my mom used to make me jump on the trampoline for fifteen minutes when I was in the fifth grade, and I'd stare at my Mickey Mouse watch the whole time until I could come back inside. I have had times in my life where I was a regular, exerciser, and I still hated every minute of it. Okay maybe for a few minutes I did get into an aerobics class or two, but generally I don't like it. I wish it invigorated me. I wish I couldn't get my day started without it (but I have for too long now).

Trust me, I'm the queen of excuses and rationalizing when it comes to exercising. See, me and Mr. Treadmill, we have a love/hate relationship. I love what he's done for me in the past, and I hate the mocking way he stares at me every time I don't use him. And I haven't used him much lately. And note to self: when you don't exercise, you gain weight. You see I know how it all works. I really do. I know how to take it off when I want to, and believe me I know how to put it back on.

So here I am, confessing all my exercising sins, and hoping that you will make me stick to my goal. I exercised today, I even lifted weights (does 5 lbs. count?) and I did some sit-ups on the exercise ball. Folks, I broke a sweat. Now why am I telling you this? Because you are my checks and balance system. I'll check in with you, and hope to balance the scale back where it needs to be. So make me stick to it! Who needs weight watchers when you've got friends who blog? I'm going to try this out for a while. Let's hope it works, I'm trying to use this and my family pics in November with Jamie for motivation. Here's to exercise!

11 comments:

Becky said...

YES!! You are so awesome! I am feeling just like you. . .that I need to exercise. So I've decided that in October (also to prepare for Jamie's photoshoot) that I'm going to "reinvent myself" into a person who loves running and hate cookie dough! This is such a joke that it makes me laugh just thinking "cookie dough is disgusting. Who would put that into their body?" Here's to our health! You go girl!

Angela said...

Lol, Becky's comment about being a person who thinks cookie dough is disgusting made me laugh. Out loud. Especially because I ate some last night. I've also decided I need to start exercising. And I actually have certain things I don't hate. Too bad there aren't any gymnastics classes for 20 somethings at the local gym. I think you just haven't found the kind of excercise you don't hate yet, Nancy. Did you hate going to dance class when you were little?

Courtney said...

WTG (is that a real acronym = way to go). I was just thinking this morning that I really shouldn't put off my new exercise regime anymore so that I'll lose some weight before my Jamie pics in a month and a half.

Nancy said...

Looks like we're all on the Jamie Hammond diet, I think we've started a new trend! So Becky, is that why you were calling me last night for the Nestle Toll House cookie recipe? I mean, so you could remind yourself how disgusting it is? Just kidding. It is disgusting, you're right, just think about the raw egg part, now that's gross!

Jamie Hammond Photography said...

ashlee told me about your post, so i had to check it out :) i'm so glad i'm inspiring everyone else - now who's going to inspire me???? i'm with you nancy - i HATE exercising! and i think there's something morally wrong with getting up when its still dark outside!

Sarah said...

If you have Jamie take your picture this week, you could just sweat off any unwanted pounds. This weather is CRAZY HOT!

Shauna Brown said...

Jumping on the tramp, now that made me laugh!! Way to go on the whole exercising thing. I'm the worst!! I feel even crappier because now that Laura lives by me and gets up at the crack of dawn to exercise, I feel like a lazy piece of, you feel in the blank!! Hopefully you will fall in love with Mr. Treadmill and some JT on your IPod!!

Austin said...

Nancy, all you need to do to get slim is live the life of a college bachelor, who can't cook.
But seriously, good job, you'll do great. I find the best way to vanquish an enemy (Mr. Treadmill) is to have your blows, be perfectly frank, and then afterward, you can be friends. Something like, "All right, Treadmill. I don't like you and you don't like me. But we both have a job to do, so let's just get this done." Trust me, you'll respect each other more afterwards.

Liz said...

Way to go girl! I am proud of you. Maybe I need to join the blog diet as well. Maybe if I posted everything I ate I would not eat as much cause I wouldn't want everyone to know all the junk I consume. Also I already had my Jamie pics so that motivation won't work for me now. But, you can do it. You did it last year for our reunion and looked fabulous! Now we have 30 approaching and need to look great so we feel great about being 30!!

jhbwallace said...

Nancy, you're absolutely adorable -- I love reading your blog. I'm right with ya in the needing to exercise thing. Get this - my dad, yes Bruce, exercises more than I do!! And he's 66 years old! Yep, he's on the treadmill EVERY morning for an HOUR! While I make myself a yummy (and not so healthy) breakfast of hashbrowns and scrambled eggs! Yep, read it and weep! If that's not enough to wake me up from my exercise-less slumber, than I don't know what is! I'm so proud of you and I am inspired! Thanks!

pam said...

Glad to hear you have announced your exercize routine to the world and now you have to stick to it and make it work. You'll be happy to know that for 2 months now I have faithfully walked up the mountain every week day and walked in Provo Canyon on Saturday. This week I have started walking more in Provo Canyon in the afternoons with LBC. But I am losing no weight. I guess now I will have to start the diet part.