Monday, September 17, 2007

And Now Deep Cleaning by Handy Nancy

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am by no means a "neat freak." I try to be clean and picked up, I make my bed almost everyday (Dr. Phil says if you make your bed your room is 80% clean) and do the dishes after we eat. But when it comes to deep cleaning, count me out. So when I come across an amazing cleaning secret I feel compelled to share, anything to make cleaning easier. So tonight I'm letting you in on an amazing secret, one that I think I could make millions off of, so maybe I shouldn't be sharing, but here it goes.

Let me give you a little background (do I ever make a story short? no, I can't even make a sentence short). A few months ago I got a new kitchen table. I love it, and am so happy to have something new. Within a week of owning my new said table, my children decided to write on paper(I'll give them a little credit) with black and red sharpie, which totally bled through to my brand new table. I was livid. I have a bit of a temper if you catch me at the wrong time, especially when you ruin my new table within my first week of ownership. So what did I do? I tried to remove it with all the spray cleaners I had, and nothing worked. I decided that I either had to live with the marker on the table, or live with a ruined finish on my new table due to a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which I knew would remove the sharpie (my old table had no shiny finish on it at all due to multiple use of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser). So I loved my standby(MCME), but was sad to have to ruin the finish, but I did it anyway because I thought it was better than the alternative.

So now I have a still brand new table with a ruined finish. But I figure we all have flaws, and who am I to judge my table because of it's one little blemish (that is pretty much what the sales lady told me and Travis when we were picking out a diamond, the flaws add character, right)? So tonight when Hallie (sweet, loving Hallie) once again drew on my table with black sharpie, I was once again livid and I sent her to her room; but this time I decided to search out an alternative to adding a new blemish to my still new table. Are you with me?

Drum roll please. Here is the new magic in our household: it's called whitening toothpaste, and are you ready for this? It removes black sharpie off a white wood table without ruining the surface (****Edited to say, upon further review this morning, there is sadly minimal surface damage, but let me say it is much, much less noticeable than when I used the magic eraser****)! Hip,hip,Hooray! Three cheers for Colgate! I really think I could rival the Bam and OxyClean man right now with how happy I am to have found this new trick. All you do is rub a little on with a damp towel, and after a little elbow grease, presto change-o, it magically disappears, leaving a fresh minty smell. It works, honest, try it sometime, and if anyone wants to go into the cleaner business with me I think we should figure out what it is that makes it do that, and we would make millions. I think I'll call it, Mrs. Clean's magic paste. Any takers?


While on the subject I'm going to give a shout-out to Grandma, not mine, but the one who invented Grandma's Secret Spot Remover, it is just as awesome at removing stains on clothes (and upholstered furniture), I use it all the time, and swear by it. Pick some up next time you're in Jo Ann's, or probably other fabric stores as well.

And now dear readers I leave you with my imparted wisdom in hopes of saving your furniture, if I save just one kitchen chair, I will feel I've done my duty.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

Thanks for the tip. Are you kicking yourself for not pulling your toothpaste out the first time around?

If it makes you feel any better, I can relate to those feelings of anger - remember the tv incident?

Natalie Hall said...

Gosh that was really smart of you Nancy. You better hurry and try to sell your idea, get a patent on the idea right away. I kind of want something to get ruined so I can hurry and try it.

Adrienne said...

Nancy- your blog has been so great lately - I am sorry that I have not commented in a while! Thanks for the cleaning tips - we all need those!

Becky said...

Nancy, you are so funny! Great entry and so glad for you (and Hallie) that you found a remedy to the three year olds inherent accidents.

pam said...

You should have included a photo of the new table. What did you do with the old one? Glad you were able to get the black sharpie out. I thought you kept the markers on top of the fridge just to avoid this kind of thing.

Sarah Jane said...

nancy...I am so with you on this. hey, can i add your blog to my blog roll? I am finding out that I am a regular reader!

Nancy said...

Sarah, that is totally fine, although I'm not really sure what a blog roll is! Does that mean you are listing me on your blog, or is that the same thing as bloglines? Anyway whatever it is I have no problem with that. I'm totally retarded when it comes to the real blog lingo and all that!

Lindsey said...

I will definately have to try out the toothpaste next time I have a similar disaster! Thanks!

Shauna Brown said...

Thank you! I knew there was a reason I read your blog!