Monday, August 27, 2007

It started already






I think I've mentioned before that I'm Dallas' primary teacher. Yesterday when church was over I was waiting with the kids for their parents to pick them up. This little girl who is in Dallas' kindergarten class, but a different primary class, pokes her head in and says, "Bye Dallas, see you at school tomorrow." Then she flashed a really big smile at him and walked away. I think this girl has seen a little too much Zach and Cody, or High School Reunion or something, because she was so dramatic and funny about how she said it. Anyway I couldn't help but laugh, and poor Dallas turned bright red, and his little friend, said "ewe Dallas, she's your girlfriend!" Of course this is all embarrassing for a five-year-old who insisted she's not his girlfriend, she's just in his school class. Anyway it was so funny to me. I know he's a cute kid, and expected this to be the case starting around 12, but was surprised that this kind of thing starts happening at 5. Too funny.

Anyway I did a bit of crafting last week, so I had to share. I made another diaper bag, this time I used a little more Joel Dewberry, which was fun. I hope this bag holds up, it's not the usual type of fabric that I use, but this is what the girl wanted. Then the other pics are some burp cloths I did for a girl in my ward, I don't think your gifts have to be lavish, but if you wrap them cute, then they look even better. It's all about the presentation I say.

On another note I was in Jo Ann's this morning (surprise I know) and this lady came up to me and said, "Excuse me, you're just so cute I was wondering if you've ever tried Mary Kay?" Now she was probably 30ish, pretty lady, and I was like Oh, brother. Then she said, "we are looking for real women to be in our new campain (don't they know Dove already did that?) and you would be so perfect. We want real women, not models, just everyday women. Could I call you in for a makeover and some pictures?" How do I get out of this politely? I just let her give me her card, and said I'd call her if I was interested. Oh brother. Then I wondered, should I be flattered? Offended? (who says I'm not a model?) Or just plain annoyed that she was trying to sell me makeup while I was at the craft store? I decided to go with semi-annoyed, and then tried to avoid her the rest of the time I was in the store. That's me, a real woman, shopping in a craft store, not wanting to be bothered by the Mary Kay lady. If any of you real women want to try out for the campaign, I have her card.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Dallas is such a cute boy. I am sure all the girls swoon over him. Alexa hasn't said anything about boys yet, thank goodness. your stuff is so cute. I get so many compliments on the bag you made for me. I need to get another one.

Courtney said...

Who knew Dallas would be a lady killer at age 5? Aren't blogs the best. Now you can remember these fun early days when he is a teenager and the girls are calling all night and you wish they'd go away.

Love the new fabrics.

pam said...

Love the bag and the burp cloths. Where do you buy the Joel Deberry fabric? You should have asked the Mary Kay lady how much she would pay you? You'll really have to keep Dallas under wraps.

Jennifer said...

Well Dallas is adorable so you really can't be too surprised! LOVE that bag!!

Carrie said...

I think you should take it as a compliment!

Katharine said...

yeah how much would they pay you? You should have acted like you were actually a professional model and that you would have to check with your agent. That takes me back to our GAP days in NYC. Dallas is so cute as well. Man girls are getting agressive at younger and younger ages.

Also, I LOVE your work Nancy! I need to take some lessons, or maybe I can just get you to make me a new diaper bag!

I am so excited to see you in a few weeks!

Shauna Brown said...

Have I told you how much I love your blog??!! At least I will be able to say, "I know her." when you are featured in a Mary Kay ad, driving a pink Caddy! I say model for sure!