Monday, August 6, 2007

A cabin, the woods, and a little Karaoke






Last week my sister Becky invited me and my kids to join her for a little relaxation at her in-law's cabin in Pine, AZ. Of course we would love to go! We had a really fun time doing mostly nothing, and loving every minute. The kids had a great time playing with their cousins. I think the best thing about the cabin experience is it's fun like camping for the kids, but luxurious for the moms complete with kitchen, bathrooms, showers, and beds. Actually it's a huge nice cabin, and we were so happy to go along. Don't worry, me and Becky were planning our own vacation homes the whole time. We decided we wanted cottages on a lake somewhere; preferably a lake with beautiful trees and greenery, and a little bakery with homemade cookies and ice cream down the lane. We're still looking!

But for now we had fun borrowing her family's cabin. The kids loved rock-hopping in the creek, searching for wild blackberries. And the moms loved reading, sewing, and relaxing. We watched the Sound of Music and High School Musical, Hannah Montanna, and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Who knew I was missing out on so much? Don't worry, I now know all about what the nine-year-old crowd is up to thanks to my twin nieces, Madison and Savanna.

The highlight of the week was when our husbands came up on Friday night. We went out on a Pine style date. Travis dubbed it Sadie Hawkins since we were unintentionally wearing the same outfit. We minus children (are you sure our kids are safe in the woods with 9-year-old babysitters?) went to the local Mexican food restaurant, dubbed as "fast-paced, friendly and fun." I think there were a total of ten tables. But if you're ever in the area, The Pine Verde Mexican restaurant has great food. After food and a few diet cokes we headed into the bar area where the locals were throwing back a few while karaokeing. Apparently a favorite local past time. So when in Pine, do as the Piners. So we, me and Becky, picked a tune and put on a show. Okay so it was more like I dragged Becky and her baby into the bar and made her karaoke with me, but she got into it I think more than she thought she would. After much debate we settled on Shania Twain's "Man I feel Like A Woman." So I really did most of the singing while Becky provided the background dancing. She's not as well versed in Shania as I am. Don't worry we're already planning a group date to go back and spend more time in the karaoke bar, any takers? Sadly, Becky is the one with the pictures, and she can't seem to make her computer work right now, so for now picture us looking and sounding great, and stay tuned for the harsh truth of two out of tune, Mormon Moms doing their rendition of the Twainer "doot do do do do do, let's go girls!" For black mail evidence see Travis' cell phone. He has it all recorded. Oh the life of the Pine locals...

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Tell Travis to make sure he has his phone at the wedding. I can't wait to see that!

Jennifer said...

That place looks gorgeous! And I think I would have paid to see you doing some Shania karaoke!

Laura said...

The twins are nine? I remember the day they were born. It looks like you had so much fun. I want a vacation home someday in the outerbanks of North Carlonia, just relaxing on the beach would be the way to vacation. I really wish I could have been there to see you do Shania. Maybe when you come to Denver to visit me and Shauna!:)

MarySue said...

Fun read. Thanks for letting me peak in on you and the family.

Nancy said...

Mary Sue, you're more than welcome any time! I'm so glad you leave comments, it's so fun to hear from you!

Sarah said...

Looks like fun! Cute photos!

pam said...

You all did look like you were having a great time. Becky told me about the new landscaping that was going on. Glad the weather was nice and that the kids enjoyed themselves. I want to see the video of you and Becky singing. Pam