Sunday, July 15, 2007

These Is My Words


I have been reading a ton this summer. I don't know what it is about the summer, but I read more in the summer than I do any other time of the year. My life as a stay-at-home-mom isn't really all that different during the summer, it's just something about the summer, I allow myself lots of reading time. I love getting lost in a book, and great characters. It's funny because in High School, and I'll admit college too, I prided myself on being able to write essays and book reviews on books I hadn't really read, I think it was something about someone telling me I had to read a certain book (that's about as rebellious as I get!) But when it's my choice, and my time, I love to read.

When I was in Florida I read Twilight which I think I mentioned was a great read. And while I'm waiting for my sister Becky to pass on the sequel, New Moon, I picked up one Courtney gave to me a long time ago. The book is called, These Is My Words, by Nancy Turner. I think I let it sit for a while because I had judged this little book by it's cover. You see it's a novel that is written like a journal of a pioneer/frontier woman that takes place in the Arizona Territories in the late 1800's. Boring! So I had let this book sit for probably a year because it sounded kind of boring to me, well I was so, so wrong, and feel like I should apologize to Nancy Turner, Sarah Prine, Courtney and Becky who had both highly recommended it to me. Becky described it as the Pride and Prejudice of the old West. I don't think I'd quite say that, because this book is full of hardships and tragedy, but through it all there is a lovely romance and interesting story of a strong Frontier woman, that I very much connected to. I won't say more, because I think too much information spoils a book, but I will say that you won't be able to put this down, you will love your husband even more, and you will feel so blessed by the life you lead. So seriously, go get this book and add it to your summer reading list, and to Becky and Courtney, did you know there is a sequel that picks up Sarah's life in 1906, don't worry, I'm already on it! Let me know if any of you read it!

10 comments:

Mandy said...

I had the same thoughts about the book as you. I guess, I will have to read it now as well.

Courtney said...

I can't believe neither of you trust book recommendations from me. Nancy, I just read Sarah's quilt. I liked it but not as much as These Is My Words.

I just finished New Moon this afternoon.

Carrie said...

I LOVED These is My Words but didn't love the sequel as much. It just wasn't the same without the love story of her and her husband. But worth trying I guess.

Laura said...

I will have to get this book when we get to Colorado, when I actually have time to read. We will be there for a year.

Becky said...

These is my Words made my list for Favorite book of the year. It was change your life kinda good for me. But the sequel is not good--still read it, you must find out about Sarah, but the writing felt rushed to me and the plot was random.

Nancy said...

Hi Carrie! I guess I need to be intelectual more often! Glad to see you're checking in with me, hope everything is well with you and your family!

Lindsey said...

I read Sarah's Quilt and enjoyed it but haven't read These is My Words, so I had nothing with which to compare it. I'll have to add it to my list!

Liz said...

Thanks for the reccommendation! I will have to check it out. I still need to get the other one you told me about...what is it called something about The Icing on the Cake? Also I know I have been slacking on my blog. I keep telling myself I need to update it since our trip to Utah and Idaho. I have been procrastinating. I don't know why!! I will do it just for you this week.. Also I noticed you mentioned in your Wisconsin entry that Stephanie was your "favorite friend". I thought I was your favorite!!! THanks alot Crancy Naig!! Hah!

pam said...

Nancy,
I was going to listen to the CD of the sequel because they have it in the PG library, but Becky and it seems others of your readers said it wasn't as good. So I didn't listen.

Courtney said...

In regards to the sequel, I didn't love it as much as These Is My Words but I still liked it.