Monday, May 7, 2007

This little piggy went to Market





Last week my older sister Becky and I decided last minute to throw our kids in the car and drive to Utah. Our younger sister Katie was going to be there visiting my parents, and going to the Quilt Market. That's a trade show type convention for people in the quilting industry (think fabric, fabric, fabric...of course I had to go!) Katie, my cute, creative, and entrepreneurial sister is starting up a business selling baby slings, shoes and other fun baby stuff. She went to Market to make some connections for her new business, and we (my sister Angela was there too, so it was officially sisters weekend once again) tagged along to meet some of our favorite fabric designers. It was really fun to get to go and see how much of an industry quilting really is, and of course meet some people I idolize. I don't know if any of you even pay attention to fabric, or even know that much of it these days is done by particular designers, but there were two of my favorites there, and I felt like I was meeting some celebrities. The two I was most excited to meet were Amy Butler and Heather Bailey. So fun, and they were so nice to a girl they've never met who was a little ga ga over their creations (oh ya, that was me). I attached some pictures of my favorite booths. My new favorite designer is a guy we met there named Joel Dewberry, he's actually a BYU grad, so it was fun to meet him. He's awesome, you have to check out his stuff!

It was also nice to spend some time with my family. Five of my six siblings were around at some point this weekend, and we had fun catching up. The cousins had fun too, and we spent a fun day at Thanksgiving Pointe where the kids got to ride some ponies, what could be more fun? Well it could have been a little better if the weather wasn't so bad. I felt like I was in a time machine back to winter, I was literally in snow yesterday as we drove home through the mountains of Utah, and I'm glad to be back in good, old hot Arizona today!

And thanks to my sweet Travis who loves me enough to let me leave him on our anniversary. Sorry honey, we'll celebrate this weekend. After seven years, and two kids I love him even more than the day we got married. You never know exactly where your life is going to take you, I'm just glad I get to live mine with my best friend. I can't wait to see what the next year brings!

10 comments:

katie said...

I am so glad you and Becky could make the drive up for market. I love that you got emotional meeting Amy Butler. We really should have taken your picture with her.

Jennifer said...

I am clueless when it comes to fabric, but it sounds like a fun weekend! And yay for meeting your designer idols!

Angela said...

yeah, katie, it was pretty awesome when she got all teary-eyed, and amy put her arm around her. what a nice gal. who's booth is that in the picture below amy's? it was good to have you nancy. are you sure you don't want to come back next weekend for the parade of homes?

Angela said...

p.s. did you tell trav that hallie has a new boyfriend?

Nancy said...

I told Trav all about Hallie's new boyfriend, but tell Brian I'm afraid she's gone back to her old one. I too wish I could come to Parade of Homes, and even if I had taken my pic with Amy I didn't like any pics that day so it would have turned out bad anyway, I really need to go to the dermotologist! P.S. I was almost teary eyed, almost!

Lindsey said...

That sounds like fun! Now you have the inside scoop on all of the great fabrics coming out this year! Looks like Joel Dewberry has some cool stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

Sarah said...

where was the market nancy? do they have it every year? I can't believe I didn't know about it! i LOVE heather and amy's line of fabric. what an incredible treat to be there! how did you hear about it?

PS: thanks again for the bag:)

Becky said...

Nancy, I had sooo much fun! How spontaneous of us to just drive to Utah for two days! Thanks so much for going with me. Meeting Amy and Heather was such a treat! And Joel Dewberry's line is awesome and I've just got to start sewing something fabulous soon. I'm feeling very inspired.

Shauna Brown said...

I just got all caught up on your blog and you have been busy!! Those Disneyland pictures made me homesick, but loved that you had such a great time. You look so great in the picture. Also, sounds like you had a great weekend with your sisters. What are you going to make me with all that new fabric?? HAHA

Lori said...

I'm so jealous that you attended market. Here I am only 5 miles from the convention center and I just thought a bout it all day.