Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Go to





I had an unexpected dinner guest last night...my husband, so I had to come up with a quick meal idea. Some people think I'm a good cook, but really the way I see it, I just have some really good "go-tos," one of which I went to last night. Now had I known a few hours in advance that he would have been coming I'd have made homemade pizza crust. I have a good recipe for that which involves yeast and my kitchenAid, but since I only had a half hour to get it ready I used my favorite easy and cheap, Jiffy pizza crust mix. It's surprisingly good, and incredibly simple. But the go to part that Trav and I like so much is the sauce and topping part. Instead of using regular old tomato sauce I use Ranch dressing. Any kind will work, just pour some over your crust and spread it around (I pre bake the crust for about 3 minutes) then top it with mozzarella, pineapple and sliced deli ham. This is so yummy!

My Mom is the real pizza maker in our family, and I remember when she first used Ranch dressing as the sauce I thought she was nuts (she likes interesting toppings like asparagus and squash and anything you might think of as odd, but turns out yummy) but to my surprise, it's now a family favorite. So next time you're in a hurry, or want to try your hand at homemade pizza, give it a try, I promise you'll like it.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ranch? It does sound crazy, but I may have to give it a try. I'm impressed that you whipped that together so quickly. My "go to" meal if I'm in a hurry is usually just take out!

Mandy said...

We will have to give it a try as well.

Shauna Brown said...

Sounds delicious, since I am an employee at CPK, I do know what I am talking, or typing about. I love Ranch on anything!!!

Adrienne said...

Ranch on a pizza??? Ya know that might not be a bad idea! Is sure looks good!

sarah said...

Ok, it does sound odd to use ranch as the sauce, however, people DIP pizza in ranch all the time. I guess you're just eliminating the tomato middle man. I will have to try it.

Laura said...

I will have to try that, it sounds good. I actually have to make dinner tomorrow night for 8 kids so maybe I will try it then. Hey Shauna, I love the ranch at CPK. Do you have the recipe? Maybe I will just have to have you bring some home for me because I will live so close to you soon. Yay!

Liz said...

Nancy..I am so impressed! Last night my go to when I got home from the airport on a Sunday night was the frozen stoffer's french bread pizzas. I will have to try this pizza next time. Jer loves candadian bacon and pineapple pizza. The ranch sounds yummy! I like the new blog makeover too!