Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Strawberry Love





We've had strawberries on sale here lately for a good price, so we've been making some of our favorite strawberry recipes. Today I made Strawberrry Freezer Jam. It's so easy and so good. Basically you just follow the directions on the pectin box, and add tons of sugar. I think next time I'll try the low sugar kind, but I know this kind tastes good, I'll just have to eat it in small doses! My other strawberry craving lately is good for you though. My sister Becky taught me how to make some yummy, healthy smoothies, and we bought a new blender last week and have been making them ever since (my old one broke, and I took way too long to replace it).

Strawberry Smoothies

1 C. Vanilla Soy milk
1 C. Vanilla flavored low fat yogurt
1 C. frozen strawberries (or any frozen fruit, must be frozen)
3 packets of splenda (you could use sugar, or for a tart smoothie no sugar)
blend and enjoy! I'm telling you, these are so good, you'll have to try it.

The other favorite "strawberry" recipe I love is something I make every conference weekend. It's not really a strawberry recipe, but I put whipped cream and strawberries on top. The recipe is for German Pancakes, if you've never tried these you're in for a real treat.

German Pancakes
6 T. butter
6 eggs
1 C. flour
1 C. milk

Melt butter in a 9 X 13 inch pan. Place pan in oven to melt butter. Mix eggs, flour and milk (you need to whisk this hard until there are no lumps, it's a good workout). Pour mixture into the pan on top of melted butter. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Cut and serve with whipped cream and strawberries. It's also good with syrup or powdered sugar, yum! Happy Conference Weekend!

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I have never done strawberries and cream with German Pancakes - we'll definitely have to try it!

Becky said...

I LOVE those smoothies!!! Yummy, yummy. I was just telling Richie we need a good tradition at conference time so the kids will say, "I love conference time because mom and dad always_____________ " Whipped cream and strawberries on German Pancakes just might fit the bill!

Adrienne said...

Ok I am officially hungry and going to make something sweet this weekend!

Laura said...

I love strawberry freezer jam. I think I will make some this weekend. Those smoothies sound awesome. I love to give dallin smoothies because he will not eat fruit. I will have to try this one.

Emily said...

I love strawberries. I ought to buy them more often.

Are we planning to get together for Easter? Everyone can come to our house if you want, or we will drive to your house. What are Becky's plans?

Abby said...

Hey Nancy- just made these smoothies. Delicious. Thanks!

sarah said...

We make German pancakes once a week. We love them! Maybe I should cut back so the kids will appreciate and look forward to them.