Monday, February 5, 2007

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend




So I've been a little MIA from the blog world this last week since I had a lot going on in the real world. Don't you love it when that happens? Usually my weekends don't involve much besides renting a movie and making microwave popcorn with Trav, but this weekend was much more eventful. It started on Friday when, my Mom, my sisters, my friend Stephanie and I went down to Tucson for the annual "International Gem and Jewelry show". Fun, I know. I go every year, and this year I talked my sisters into coming and incorporating it into our now annual "sister's weekend. " (Last year we all met in Portland, so this makes for our second annual-yes I like that word-sister's weekend) And, fun for all of us, my mom now lives on the same continent as the rest of us and was able to join us.
Let's just say that my checking account has a few "unaccounted" for funds. Actually I didn't really go that crazy, and to my dismay didn't actually purchase any real diamonds, but found lots of great imposters. I didn't set out to buy all clear crystal, but that's mostly what I bought. That and a few fun pairs of earrings and rings. Did I mention I like jewelry? Hallie shows signs of enjoying bling as well, and it's a good thing as she stands to inherit a lot, unless I have another daughter sometime between now and the millennium.
Did you know it can be very tiring looking at jewelry? We spent the entire day with tent (and I mean huge industrial, football- field- sized tent) after tent, row upon row of jewel and gem. It's hard to imagine unless you've seen it, and they won't let you take photos. I think my sister illegally took one, so when I get a copy I'll post it.
Anyway, after we spent all of our money, and had seen all there was time for we headed home. On Saturday we attended(along with all of Arizona) the Glendale Chocolate Festival. Good idea? No bad. Sadly there was no room to even enjoy the festival, seriously wall to wall people, and not much interesting stuff. So we enjoyed a few pieces of chocolate and headed to the antique stores in 0ld towne Glendale instead. It was fun, but as I had no money left I came home without any antiques. Speaking of antiques. I just turned 29. I had my birthday on Sunday. It was fun. As fun as having your birthday on Fast Sunday can be I suppose. I'm not too big on birthdays when they are my own, and when I turn a year older (which somehow happens every year). I don't know why I don't usually like my birthday, I really like throwing birthday parties, just not for myself. Just not my favorite thing aging and all. I had fun though, we had a nice dinner at my brother Steve's house and I was happy to be surrounded by my fun family on my big day.
Moving on, Dawn has officially entered my cupcake contest, and I bought the startings of the prize today, so she just might win it if no one else enters! I'll post her pics when I get them.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooooh, I love that ring in the first picture! Your weekend sounds like a lot of fun. And happy belated birthday! Antique...please! Although I must admit my body feels like it is already falling apart these days at the ripe old age of 27.

Frances said...

Hi! I am Katharine's mom and I live in DC. I was so excited to read the account of your adventure to the International Gem and Jewlery Show. I wished I had known. I am friends with Dr. Jeff Post, the Curator of the National Gem and Mineral Collection at the Smithsonian Institution. He was just out there over the weekend showing off some of the amazing gems they have as part of the National Gem Collection. It is great to know there are others out there who love "Bling" as much as I do. I am just getting involved with the National Gem Collection and would love to share stories with you.

Mandy said...

Umm, I thought I was your best friend. First my sister and now I am being replaced by stones. I see.

Adrienne said...

I am so jealous – that sounds like the greatest trip ever! I love the ring – fabulous– I don’t know how I would control myself in a football field full of jewelry…seriously.

Laura said...

Um, read my blog and you will see that I have entered your contest. I just can't post photos until I get home on the 12th , but believe me they are awesome! Happy Birthday. I remembered honestly,but I am so sick that I can hardly talk. I will call you soon.

Angela said...

I'm a little disappointed that you have not yet posted my illegal picture. Did I break the rules for nothing?

Shauna Brown said...

Umm, diamonds, chocolate, antiques, and a b-day, what could be more fun?? Love the picture of the ring- so pretty. I'm a fan of chocolate diamonds right now- not that I have any. I'm in agreement with the b-day thing as well. I love throwing parties for other people as well. Happy B-day!!